Question about size relation

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Question about size relation

Postby NavySeabee6969 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:56 am

Hello to all TnTTT users,

I have been extensively researching TDs for a long while now. I have finally decided to commit to building one from the ground up. Through my research, I have decided I want to keep our TD on a Harbor Freight heavy duty trailer, and after knit-picking for a couple of weeks, I have found a body style/design. I just want to ask the TnTTT community if this design will fit on a HF trailer. The dimensions will all meet up, I am just not sure about the tongue. I have [hopefully successfully] attached a pdf of my desired style/design. So, TnTTT community, will this puppy fit on an HF trailer??

Thank you for your response!!

V/R,

Kevin

cubnewl.pdf
Will the fit??
(46.35 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
NavySeabee6969
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Question about size relation

Postby grantstew8 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:17 am

Hi Seebee

It's a fantastic shape, I really like the design and feel of the td.

I read this poll http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=550&view=viewpoll when I was designing my trailer and went from 48 to 60'
It may be possible to do with the trailer you have. Some neat ideas about attaching the floor has been kicking around recently using a joist hanger.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59311#p1071189

Your design certainly looks like it will work. There are more qualified and experience folk with HF trailers who can give definitive answers.

Enjoy the build and keep the photos coming!
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Re: Question about size relation

Postby KCStudly » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:01 pm

Building the cabin wider to suit the 5 ft width shouldn't be a problem.

Things to look out for are:
(1) The tire clearance to the side wall. There may be differences between the stock trailer leaf springs in the trailer you propose and the custom trailer with torsion axle in the design shown.
(2) If you plan to use 5 ft wide plywood for the roof, have the roof skin sit on top of the walls, and have the walls extend down on the outside of the trailer frame, you need to subtract the wall thickness and a small amount of clearance on each side of the trailer from the 60 inch sheet size to get your true trailer width. Otherwise you will be using portions of 8 ft sheets to span outside-to-outside on a true 60 inch wide trailer (if it is in fact 60 inches wide).
(3) The fact that the custom trailer shown in the (Angib's?) design is only 7 ft long means that getting that exact profile to "play nice" with a longer frame may not be as easy of a slam dunk that you would think. If you are just planning to use the general profile shape and modify it to suit your trailer, then it may not be such a big deal, but if you "need" the detailed plans in order to build, than that could be a deal breaker for you.
(4) Axle placement front to rear almost assuredly does not match the HF trailer, but might be closer if you cut a foot off of the back of it (see Item 3 above). Probably would have to weld the rear xmbr back on in the new location. Fender to door trim clearance with the door in the correct "sit and spin" location can be an issue (not to mention proper trailer balance for good towing manners) if the axle is not far enough rearward.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques