Cool Fenders

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby dakotamouse » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:55 pm

The 4 ft. width is something that is bothering the hubby too. Although I think we have a total of 4 feet sleeping width in our present camper. We have a 19 ft. Salem which we intend to keep. This is a fun challenge project for us.

I'll have to check out local tractor supply. It looks like they are going to be a great supply source

Mary

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:01 pm

Mary,

Of course, you can make your teardrop any width you like, and maybe you and your hubby can easily sleep in a double bed (4' wide teardrop), but just wait until you are on a camping trip and it is raining all day. Sure, you can get under your tarp or auxilary tent, but if you want to get into the teardrop, a 4' wide tear would be pretty confining, I'd think. Personally, I'm going for the 5' wide for that very reason. I've been stuck in too many backpacking tents in the rain and it's no fun at all after a little while.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby JunkMan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:04 pm

madjack wrote:Jeff if you find that info please post it, I rmember the post and will try and find it....
madjack 8)

Madjack,

I can't find it on my computer, but I still have the fenders in the box at my shop, so it should have an address on it. As soon as I find something, I'll post it.

It seems like the last set of fenders he listed on ebay only brought about $125 - $150 plus freight. The quality is not bad, there were a few small chips in the gelcoat along the edges, but nothing serious.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby dakotamouse » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:32 pm

Hey Larry,

I"m wondering if you ran into any problems with supplies when you went with the 5 ft. trailer width. What I mean is that paneling sheets and plywood usually come in 4 x 8. I haven't looked into aluminum yet but is that 4x8 also?
:thinking:

The extra foot of width is kinda growing on me but for a first project I'm tempted to keep it simple.

Mary

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:47 pm

dakotamouse wrote:Hey Larry,

I"m wondering if you ran into any problems with supplies when you went with the 5 ft. trailer width. What I mean is that paneling sheets and plywood usually come in 4 x 8. I haven't looked into aluminum yet but is that 4x8 also?
:thinking:

The extra foot of width is kinda growing on me but for a first project I'm tempted to keep it simple.

Mary

Mary there are definite supply problems at 5' width but they are solvable. 5' wide ply can be hard to find and pricey...Baltic Birch can often be found in 5x5 sheets from specialty shops and cabinet shops or even MoM and PoP lumber yards. The AL can be found in 5' widths fairly easily and if not then 102" width by as long as you like from 18wheeler trailer repair shops. There is more waste in a 5'er but proper planing can make use of the cutoffs for interior cabinets and other projects
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby JunkMan » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:57 pm

Dakotamouse,

I picked up my 5' wide aluminum in Denver. It's availible, but you have to look for it. I called every aluminum supplier I could find in western South Dakota, and eastern Wyoming and couldn't get any unless I wanted to pay $200 extra for shipping for a special order. I found a couple of places in Denver that stock it, but many of them told me it was not availible.

I'm using 5' x 5' Baltic Birch for the top, had to get it from a hardwood supplier here in Rapid, the big box stores didn't carry it here. For the floor, I am using 3 sheets of standard 4' x 8' plywood (my tear is 54" x 106").
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:04 pm

JunkMan wrote:
madjack wrote:Jeff if you find that info please post it, I rmember the post and will try and find it....
madjack 8)

Madjack,

I can't find it on my computer, but I still have the fenders in the box at my shop, so it should have an address on it. As soon as I find something, I'll post it.

It seems like the last set of fenders he listed on ebay only brought about $125 - $150 plus freight. The quality is not bad, there were a few small chips in the gelcoat along the edges, but nothing serious.

Hi Guys,

I talked to the fender guy you are refering too about 4 times. I really wanted to buy some fenders from him... Had some problems though, maybe he has worked them out by now. Here are a few of the things he told me. He wasn't going to sell on ebay anymore, or so he said because he wasn't getting the price he wanted. New price was $200 plus shipping. He also told me he was getting new resin spraying equipment, to make better quality... A plus I guess. He also said he had a custormer in CA that was wanting to buy in 10 set lots. He offered White or Black gelcoat. Problem I had was he gave me times and days to call back andhe never answered his shop phone at those times.... So I went with the Aero fenders. Same price as his and an established business with a real storefront. Hope this info helps... If he had just answered the phone I would have sent him the cash, check or MO.... Used the card with Aero... (gives you some piece of mind, that your money didn't grow wings) Sorry now I threw away his phone number, I could give it to ya...

Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:08 pm

....thanks for the info Steve, at 200bucks, there is no savings and for "no savings" I would much rather deal with an established store front....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby larryl » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:53 pm

Mary:

The only problem I encountered was finding 5' wide sheet aluminum. One of my customers located a supplier in Virginia and had it shipped to them.

I cut two sheets of 4X8 plywood down to 4X5 and seamed them for the floor.

I figured that I probably had 10-15% waste going to 5X8 compared to 4X8, but I figure it was worth it.

Also, most contractor oriented lumber yards, not Lowes nor Home Depot, can order you 5X8 sheets of plywood.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby critter » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:18 pm

hey guys,
im makin my weee kender 5x8,theres not a lot of waste if you use it for cabnets and counters and such or even on another project... 8)
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Fender Protection

Postby thexporter » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:36 pm

I have not gotten far enough on my build to do this but I came across this website and it might help here.

http://www.venturetape.com/ventureshield/

Dennis
thexporter
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:01 am

Chris C wrote:............I've been stuck in too many backpacking tents in the rain and it's no fun at all after a little while.
But Chris, isn't most backpacking tents only 3 feet wide? :lol:

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:52 am

The secret in building a teardrop of any size is to think things out and ask questions (which you are). Example: You can get 5'x9'x1/2" ply at most any lumber yard/store (it's ping pong table size). I have not heard of 5x8, but you can get 5x10 all day long, but not 1/8" (as far as I know). Only thing, for the most part, it has to be ordered even from Lowe's. So be sure to do your home work. Don't just jump in. And if your thinking 5' wide, you might as well think 9' long. And yes, in building a 5' wide teardrop, you will come across a few more stumbling blocks than if you were building a 4x8. And if your going to skin it, 1/8" ply laid crosswise will work just fine for the roof.

Just my 5 cents on the subject. Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques