Attaching frame to trailer, will my idea work?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Attaching frame to trailer, will my idea work?

Postby Forge » Fri May 23, 2014 12:05 pm

I am building a 5'x8' on a HF 4x8 frame, I have a couple of different ideas too attach the two together. I want the teardrop to be removable from the frame.

I have 2 ideas for ways to attach them, The frame is 2x4's with 1/2" ply on top. I was thinking of under the ply drilling some holes and putting carriage bolts and torque washers then a lock nut under the frame. my other idea is to put a t-nut under the ply and then bolt up from below.

Because of the way I designed it I will have no access to the top of the bolts inside the trailer so I need to make sure what ever I put under the floor doesn't come loose. I was thinking of epoxying the top of the bolt in to be sure.

Any advice or ideas on a better way to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Forge
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Attaching frame to trailer, will my idea work?

Postby Sammy2Socks » Fri May 23, 2014 12:53 pm

From what I've read on this forum, I think the carriage bolts are more commonly used. I hadn't heard of a t-nut before (I had to look it up) but it seems like you would need numerous t-nuts to get the same level of holding strength that you get from just 4 carriage bolts.

I hope you get some other replies. Like you, I'm in the process of building (out over the wheels) on the 4x8HF 1720 trailer. I'm curious about some more experienced builders' opinions regarding your question. :thinking:
Sammy2Socks
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Richard Miller » Sat May 24, 2014 2:07 am

I used elevator bolts on mine, the heads are about the size of a 50ยข piece
I used to be pretty indecisive, but now I'm not too sure
Richard Miller
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonesnforcampin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:16 pm

I also am building one that I plan to be removable. I am planning on using the latches that hold down the roof on a pop up tent camper. I have not gotten to that point in my build, nor purchased them. If I buy them and feel they are not strong enough I will likely just run bolts in the two front corners in addition to the latches.

The latches will not look as nice, but they will be much easier to use than having to get underneath.
jonesnforcampin
Teardrop Builder

Postby jrjr » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:40 pm

I made 4 - 1/8" steel plates with 4 holes. 2 - 3/8" bolts through existing holes in trailer frame and 2 - 3/8" bolts through floor frame for each 4 1/2" plate. Used 'T' nuts inside the wooden floor frame. It's easy to remove the bolts.

jrjr
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques