Height of counters and shelves

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Height of counters and shelves

Postby hiker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:05 pm

Any thoughts on height of various counter and shelves in your trailer?

Inside my shelving at foot of bed is 24" off floor (12" and 11" shelf) less 5" for mattress, leaving 19" for my toes. This appear to work for us.

At home our favorite kitchen counter is 39" high, the sink counter is 36" and the stove is 32"
Outside at the rear my trailer construction starts with floor 26" off the level ground.
trying to work a water jug 16"h x 12x12 and cooler 19" high 18 wide, 30 long for the countertop my current stove is Coleman 2 burner using 1# canisters. Trying to future plan for Camp Chef stove/oven combo. that may not be doable
So for my galley area- If I add 13" brings me to 39" counter height. still to high for cooking but food prep would be great.
My cooler will be on slideout needing 20" + 26" makes a 46" high counter.
It all seems too high.

This problem seems to be winning. Have I missed something in my planning. Any suggestions?
Build Journal: Expedition Trailer Mk I http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=57985
hiker
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Height of counters and shelves

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:00 pm

What is making your floor so high to start?

I'm shooting for a 36 inch high finished counter and thought that my trailer height (14-1/2 inches, IIRC) was a little higher than most people start at (and I have big 31 inch tires with Jeep leaf spring suspension).

A couple of things I am doing to help with the counter height is to not have a face frame around the cooler bay, just a lip on the edge of the counter. This and using side style gliders for the cooler sliding tray will keep the cooler lower than the hidden under mount style would have.

I hope I didn't make my inside rear cabinet too low at 18 inches (planning for a 4 or 5 inch mattress), but the front is relatively shallow to the bulkhead so should not be a shin knocker when rolling over. I think you will be more than fine at 24 inches.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Height of counters and shelves

Postby hiker » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:26 am

KCStudly wrote:What is making your floor so high to start?

I'm shooting for a 36 inch high finished counter and thought that my trailer height (14-1/2 inches, IIRC) was a little higher than most people start at (and I have big 31 inch tires with Jeep leaf spring suspension).

A couple of things I am doing to help with the counter height is to not have a face frame around the cooler bay, just a lip on the edge of the counter. This and using side style gliders for the cooler sliding tray will keep the cooler lower than the hidden under mount style would have.

I hope I didn't make my inside rear cabinet too low at 18 inches (planning for a 4 or 5 inch mattress), but the front is relatively shallow to the bulkhead so should not be a shin knocker when rolling over. I think you will be more than fine at 24 inches.

Floor is 64" x 108", height is support for rear overhang. Not creative type so high floor.

I had no idea there were so many options for slides, WOW! Earlier thinking was, slideouts to make a "T" shape counter area.
It sounds like I just toss applebox in the trailer.

As for the main compartment shelf height, almost missed it but saw a post about bedding heights. so measured around came up with 6" plus my feet, I should be good.
We sleep fine backpacking with Thermarest thats only a 1.5 or 2" so we we see. At home the mattress is 9" and 31" off the floor, the old bed was 33" high.
Build Journal: Expedition Trailer Mk I http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=57985
hiker
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques