Don't know where to start

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Don't know where to start

Postby handydaddy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:06 pm

I have been looking around for a while now trying to come up with a plan for a build. I need some thing that will hold all four of us, be light enough to tow, and still have enough room inside to keep the wife happy. I found a camper from Forest River that I like the idea of but would want to change it a bit. I'm not very good with designs programs, I'm a building not a thinker lol. I would want to leave the bathroom out of the unit I build and move the kitchen from the inside to the garage area on this unit. That would shorten the unit up and the lack of a bathroom would really lighten the load. If anybody has any suggestions or is good with design work and wants to help a fella out I would appreciate it. Here is the link to the unit I was referring to.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTra ... rettyPhoto
handydaddy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Don't know where to start

Postby kayakdlk » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Not sure what weight you goal is "light enough to tow" can be anything, if you have a small car then maybe foam construction.

My favorite design that is still a teardrop, but able to stand up in, with kitchen out back, inside table for 4 and could easily be converted to add another bed or bunks is the Rondack lodge design by Steve Fredericks. He sells the plan on http://www.campingclassics.com/. Might give it a look if you don't think you can design your own. I also highly suggest getting his build manual. It invaluable for build techniques and has many great ideas. I used his techniques without any more plans that my own sketeches and ideas I put on paper for the overall size, and shape.

Almost anything is doable. I suggest you make your must have list, wants, and nice to have and then start from there. I also suggest looking in the Hall of fame at many of the other builds. if you wife isn't on board, look at renting first before you invest time and money in something she wont like

Good luck, and have fun

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques