Minimum Door Trim Radius???

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Minimum Door Trim Radius???

Postby Babartlett » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:17 am

Im currently framing my composite walls and I am having to confront my door design.

I would prefer for my doors to be rectangular with a radius at each corner; similar to the pre-built doors that you can buy. I was hoping to achieve a 6 inch radius at each corner but I know that that may be a stretch for the aluminum trim.

Please let me know if you have experience or opinions regarding how sharp flexible T molding can be bent without curfing it.

Thanks!
Brian
Babartlett
Teardrop Builder

Re: Minimum Door Trim Radius???

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:30 am

I'm one of those guys that using the commercial doors so no personal hands-on experience, but take a look at this post:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10771&hilit=relieving+trim

Grant Whipp has built a ton or two of teardrops and is quite friendly with those that are reaching out for help, so don't hesitate to drop him an email.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Minimum Door Trim Radius???

Postby DMcCam » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi Brian,

We ended up with about a 6" radius on the bottom edge of our doors. Grant's dead soft aluminum edge and 'T' molding worked very well. http://lilbear.teardrops.net/ You will have to reduce the inner side of the 'T' to allow it to not buckle too much. Here's a link to my build thread about how we did ours:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35081&start=420

It takes time to do this yet it is not hard to do, you just need to be patient. I'm very happy with how they turned out.

All the Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques