Top hatch door?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Top hatch door?

Postby Malamute » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:08 pm

Has anyone done a top hatch that's large enough to stand up in and look around? A search didn't seem to work, it said the words I tried were too common.

I thought maybe double doors, but a single may work. I was thinking a raised lip of an inch and a half or more to help keep it from leaking.

You know all those things you've always wanted to do?

You should go do them.
Malamute
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Top hatch door?

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:41 pm

I have plenty of standing room :D

When the roof hatch closes it seals down against a weatherstrip to keep the water out. I thought I had some close-up pictures, but this was the best I can find right now... showing where the roof hatch nests between the exterior skins of the trolley top sides.

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Malamute » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I'm thinking more along the lines of a smaller hatch, maybe 3' sq, and that would allow an unobstructed 360 deg view. The hatch door(s) folding down flat when open.

You should go do them.
Malamute
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:08 pm

Flat is a lot harder to seal against standing or streaming water. The rim wall method, like Zach's latest, Sharon's MyAway, and others would be better. You could scale it down easily enough, and if you're afraid the bump up will be an eyesore to the profile, you could even mount your roof vent fan in the hatch so that it camouflages it somewhat (provided you can allow for this extra height if garage kept). Hinge the whole thing at the front with a piece of hurricane hinge, just be careful not to crack the vent cover when opening (maybe a lanyard to keep it from flopping open).

Where's Wolffarmer? He did a floor hatch so he can stand on the ground and get dressed inside. I think Oakinteriors did a soft sided drop floor, too. Maybe you can get something from looking at those builds.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Malamute » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm not as concerned about the profile. A raised rim sounded like a good way to preclude most of the water, with the seal on the lid then being less of an issue I'd think. I would likely have a roof rack in any event, so the profile wouldn't be affected much.

I've heard a number of comments about moon or sun roofs in cars leaking badly. I thought the raised rim for the hatch hole may help avoid that.

Besides just being able to enjoy the view, I live in bear country, and would like to be able to have a look around before emerging from a teardrop or letting the dog out.

You should go do them.
Malamute
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques