Right-Angle Draw Latch

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Right-Angle Draw Latch

Postby working on it » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:51 pm

Even though my hatch is as simple as it can be, a single piece of 3/4" plywood, waterproofed with three coats of poly mix and two coats of enamel on the inside, three outside...it is starting to get a little twist in it...from being raised and propped open for months at a time (I should latch it shut when not "working on it"!). If it was to be secured, it might've done the same twist anyhow, I don't know. Well, anyhow, whereas it once sealed perfectly all around, it is now not sealing at the bottom (the rest of the perimeter seals are fine). Until today, that is. I screwed a round tube seal (from a household door seal kit) to the bottom-lower inside edge of the hatch, and mounted a set of adjustable right-angle (corner) draw latches to pull the hatch tightly against the trailer.
stainless corner latch (adjustable tension).jpg
Sugatsune (LAMP stamped) sourced from Amazon
stainless corner latch (adjustable tension).jpg (47.08 KiB) Viewed 757 times
I used scrap aluminum flat stock (leftover from other trailer projects) to align/shim, and tension the latch springs to bring the hatch fully up against the seal. If the hatch flattens out again, I can remove the shims...if it twists more, I can add more shims (and a thicker seal. I should've anticipated some deformation, after all, the hatch is 49"x48", with no inner bracing (really didn't want more weight at the hindmost part of the trailer).
hatch hasp, draw latch, and locks.jpg
hatch hasp, draw latch, and locks.jpg (98.45 KiB) Viewed 757 times
new corner-mounted draw latches.jpg
new corner-mounted draw latches.jpg (53.52 KiB) Viewed 757 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Right-Angle Draw Latch

Postby ctstaas » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi There, I made custom latch points to be used with store bought hardware. Sometimes its the tiny little pieces that take all the brain power but that's fun to figure out the tiniest things.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques