Is it possible to paint trim?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby inthewoods » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:53 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to paint aluminum trim? I've been thinking in my idealistic sort of way that it would be really nice to trim out some of my trailer with black trim if it existed somewhere or if it normal aluminum RV trim could be painted.

Anyone know of a source for black trim or how to paint it before applying it to trailer?

Thanks!

Matt
inthewoods
Teardrop Master

Re: Is it possible to paint trim?

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:10 pm

If you can't find black trim I would recommend preforming it, then seeking out a powder coating vendor in your area. Look for one that caters to smaller custom work, rather than large production contracts. The big shops will charge more for the hassle of dealing with a "special" job, whereas every job the small guy does is special and will receive a high level of attention.

The trick with aluminum is prep. If not done correctly, paint will more than likely peel or flake off.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby kayakdlk » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:21 pm

1) Clean raw aluminum with wax and grease remover
2) Scuff the aluminum with 320 to 400 grit sandpaper (Wet sanding works well)
3) Clean again with acetone or paint thinner to get the black grit off
4) Spray with Bull dog adhesion promoter (light coats, its expensive but its the key to getting the paint to stick to the aluminum, can be bought in spray cans)
5) Then spray with a good quality paint. I have used and like the Duplicolor wheel paint in clear and black spray cans. Other colors are possible. The paint is durable and seems to have a hard finish and lasts

I have used this process to clear coat all of my alum trim on my teardrop after I cut to size, and sanded to get a swirled finish. I have also painted several alum wheels with the same method (Black and then clear over top the black for shine)

Over time it may get scratched or chipped depending on how rough you are with it (touch up as needed). But so will any painted surface. The Bull dog keep the paint from flaking off

Dan
Last edited by kayakdlk on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Toytaco2 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:38 pm

Yes! Usually the RV places sell trim in "plain" aluminum finish or already painted white. I used white standard insert molding style trim. The pre-painted white finish will work as an excellent "pre-primed" trim. Just hit the surfaces with fine grit sand paper and then paint it the color you like. I did this with mine and finished the trim with "hammered" Rustoleum paint. There's been no flaking or chipping of the paint at all. The hatch latches were painted the same way. My son, a professional painter sprayed the trim with an HVLP unit before it was installed, but I think the same paint in a rattle can applied carefully would be just as good.

Good Luck,

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby mrwall1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:09 pm

google etching with Vinegar, very simple, just soak the aluminum with vinegar then rinse off, dry and paint.. also lot of paint companies sell a type of prime wash that is made for alum, stainless or galv... metal..
mike
my Old Teardrop build journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59792
My New 7x16 Continental V Nose Build
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=67734
My Photobucket Link to 7x16 V nose build
http://s20.photobucket.com/user/mrwall/ ... %20Trailer
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:04 am

The trim around my tongue box is made from mill finish aluminum angle.

I painted the trim after it was installed. First, it was thoroughly cleaned to remove grease and oils. Then I used rattle-can self etching primer for aluminum. The primer was followed by 3 coats of rattle-can black paint. Then I finished the entire tongue box - both trim and epoxy-coated cedar - with Emtech EM9300 clear polycarbonate coating.

As KC stated, it probably easier to paint the trim after it is cut and formed and before it is installed.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Tucguy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:06 pm

I am an aircraft structural tech. Airplanes are mostly aluminum. This is how the pros do it:The process for painting it: Finish all your shaping, drilling, stretching, etc. Use scotch brite pad on it to lightly roughen the surface. Use aluminum prep and then chromic acid (alodine) very carefully as they are easily absorbed into your skin and liver. they are sprayed or rubbed onto the aluminum. Best method is to emmerse in tanks. It changes the surface color to a light copper in a few minutes. Wash it off with water, being careful to contain the waste. It is hazardous waste, treat is as old oil paint and turn it in to an appropriate agency. It is available from aircraft supply businesses such as Aircraft Spruce. The alodine is called a conversion coating. Most important for aluminum painting process. Primer it with a two part epoxy (Koropon) and then topcoat with a two part epoxy finish. This gives you a very long lasting finish resistant to corrosion. Yes aluminum does corrode, especially when it is in contact with another metal such as steel (screws). You would be using caulk under your trim and under the screws to minimize moisture infiltration and that helps the problem with dissimilar metal corrosion as well. This how we treat aluminum airplanes. This is the same method to paint an aluminum covered trailer as well if you want the best and the longest lasting finish. Every aluminum part on an airplane is treated this way although some are only primed if they are not visible. Best environmental protection is with the topcoat over the primer. Anodization is the other best method of coloring aluminum but is expensive and is more like applying chrome. Big vats of chemicals and electricity.
Tucguy
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques