Insulation

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Insulation

Postby Derson59 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:19 pm

I plan on insulating the inside of the TD. I will not be insulating the floor. My question would this create a moisture problem? Coming from underneath the floor into the cabin of the TD. I will have a roof vent and possibly a window in the front of the TD. Or am I just over thinking the whole thing? :thinking:
Derson59
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Insulation

Postby woodywrkng » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:40 pm

Be careful with that "thinking" business. No good can come from that. (sarcasm intended) I think you'll be fine. Any moisture that sneaks in should escape from the roof vent.
woodywrkng
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:43 pm

Your mattress will work as floor insulation. You'll be fine. :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Derson59 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:18 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Your mattress will work as floor insulation. You'll be fine. :thumbsup:

thank you.. :D

woodywrkng wrote:Be careful with that "thinking" business. No good can come from that. (sarcasm intended) I think you'll be fine. Any moisture that sneaks in should escape from the roof vent.

I tend to do that thinking too much. thank you
Derson59
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Yep, I agree we have five inches of insulation on the floor, The foam mattress.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:38 am

Derson,

In a normal camping scenario ground moisture isn't going to be an issue.

If you store the camper in a wet area and the exterior of the floor isn't well sealed, the moisture may become a problem.

As for when you are camping, airborne moisture may become an issue in cold weather, as it will want to condense on the coolest surfaces.
The mattress, as pointed out will "insulate" the floor, but if there is space around the edges of the bed, moisture can condense there, and then soak into the bedding.

For most campers, it isn't an issue, but if you forsee a lot of cold weather camping, a thin layer of insulation on or under the floor isn't a bad idea.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:24 am

48Rob wrote:Derson,

In a normal camping scenario ground moisture isn't going to be an issue.

If you store the camper in a wet area and the exterior of the floor isn't well sealed, the moisture may become a problem.

As for when you are camping, airborne moisture may become an issue in cold weather, as it will want to condense on the coolest surfaces.
The mattress, as pointed out will "insulate" the floor, but if there is space around the edges of the bed, moisture can condense there, and then soak into the bedding.

For most campers, it isn't an issue, but if you forsee a lot of cold weather camping, a thin layer of insulation on or under the floor isn't a bad idea.

Rob

Yeah that!

Depending on your build method, adding a relatively thin layer of insulation under the floor MAY pay dividends in the long run. I built my floor separately, mounted it on the trailer chassis, & built/added the rest of the cabin to that. After 'painting' the 'sticky black stuff' on the underside of the floor, I placed pieces of 1" Dow Blueboard in the spaces between the framework. A little construction adhesive & some scrap strips stapled in place as battens secured the foam insulation in place where it's been for nearly 8yrs & 22K+ miles. Our 'mattress' started out as a couple of 3" folding kids' 'play' mats with vinyl on one side & fabric on the other, that have since been replaced with 4" memory foam & a 1 1/2" egg crate pad. The 1" foam insulation in the walls, & the 1 1/2" in the roof have been of great value to us, both for cooling/warmth, & noise reduction. We've never had any problem with condensation in any form. I take my TD to an annual squirrel hunt in southern Illinois each September where we have a pickin' & grinnin' 'hoe down' on Saturday night. I've slept right through some pretty loud/wild parties when the pickin' gets mixed with consumption of copious amounts of adult beverages... ;)
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DMcCam » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:46 pm

It also depends what you are using for you deck. We ended up using 1 1/8" plywood tongue and grove sub-flooring. We've camped in 28 degree lows at night and were too warm in the cabin. Maybe if you had a very light weight deck like 1/2" you could have issues with condensation but I don't think it would be much of an issue.

You might consider a couple of windows in your doors as well as the roof vent. Even in cold weather we keep the windows cracked an inch or two with the roof vent open about the same. We've had no problem so far with condensation.

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:00 pm

If you think it may be an issue, Lay a piece of Styrofoam under the Mattress.

For $10 or $15 if it makes you sleep better.....

But I don't think they'll be any problems.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques