Has anybody ever used OSB for sidewalls??

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Has anybody ever used OSB for sidewalls??

Postby Kharn » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:37 pm

15mm luan? Do you mean 5mm?

OSB expands and loses structural integrity when exposed to water, you would be relying on your skin being perfect, any flaw would be a gigantic problem. High quality plywood would be a much better choice.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:59 pm

I've seen it used. It doesn't have very good holding strength for the screws that you drive into it. And it can be wicked if it gets wet.

Mike..
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby 48Rob » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:59 pm

OSB does not weather well, even when painted.

Some here have tried it, and after a few years it looks pretty rough...though theirs has been exposed.
In a sandwich situation, it "might" work out, but why take the chance?

Plywood is a much better choice.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby highdesertranger » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:43 pm

I wouldn't use osb for anything. my buddy who has worked construction his whole life calls it particle board, when I correct him he says it's the same thing. when people say osb is better than plywood, I ask them if they make marine osb. end of conversation. highdesertranger
highdesertranger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:53 pm

I just finished rebuilding my shed. The guy sheathed it with OSB and did a horrible job at that. Any place the painted stuff was exposed to water it rotted. In central Idaho, about the only way to rot wood is to lay it on the ground. Except OSB.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:23 pm

There is a brand of OSB that is made with superior adhesives; Advantech from Huber Engineered Woods. It is great stuff. It does not suffer from the edge swell as much as standard OSB. It comes in 5 thicknesses from 19/32 to 1 1/8" . I prefer it to plywood in home construction.

Edge swell is more pronounced with std OSB than with plywood, but overall plywood absorbs more water than OSB. OSB has some advantages over some plywoods. IE standard OSB is usually a more consistent product than standard construction CD grade plywood; there are no layers where 2 knots may appear in adjacent layers for example. However if we use higher grades of plywoods, especially plywoods like Marine grade, no OSB will likely come close in quality. The whole quality thing revolves around the adhesives used to adhere the strands or the plies. And OSB is meant to be a substarate; it was never meant to be painted as a finished visible component. And it looks like heck when used like that.

BTW, OSB is a very different material from the old waferboards of yesteryear or the particleboards of today. FYI, true OSB was first manufactured in 1991, waferboard came out in 1963, plywood in 1905 but the first plywood with waterproof adhesives came in the 30's with great improvements in the 50's and 60's.

For the curious here is alink to a very good comparison with the orientation slanted to the construction trades. The author is a recognized expert in the construction industry.

Travel trailers are most likely closer to boats than to houses though, when it comes to materials and their suitability. IMO.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tonyj » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:00 pm

In six months or a year, do you want to say "I wish I had paid for the better plywwod" as you tear your hard work apart?

Why chance it? The number one problem with boats and trailers is WATER intrusion. And regardless what you do, or quality of build, water finds a way to make you look like an idiot. Don't skimp on quality materials for you build. Your cost savings are in your sweat equity.
Last edited by tonyj on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby highdesertranger » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:34 pm

like i said, do they make marine osb. the answer is no. but of course you can use it for whatever you want. highdesertranger
highdesertranger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:28 am

Eggbert was 7/16 osb Image

Chubby is 5/8 osb sub siding Image

Rip van winkle is 7/16 zip wall a fiberglass faced osb protected by FRP Image

The chuckwagon is 7/16 zip wall also with the same FRP outer skin.Image

They are all still viable after 7+ years.

Hell the caboose is 7/16 zip wall covered with only 2 coats of tractor enamel paint It has been in the weather 26 months and shows no sign of any distress.

Some of us poor folk just cant afford the 72 layer oak faced marine plywood at a gazillion dollars a sheet.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques