changing a galley/body, need ideas or help

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

changing a galley/body, need ideas or help

Postby cspoptarts » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Just bought our first tear drop *yippee* someone constructed but never used. He did a good job on everything but the galley is unfinished (i like that). One
thing I feel he did wrong was raise the outside shell, bottom panel, up to meet the countertop (said he did it cause he worried about road water & splash). I can't foresee it being good to lift up the split countertops to store stuff under them (i prefer the open bottom that you have cabinets & drawers). Can anyone recommend a solution that
would not be horribly complicated to correct this or lead me to some designs similar to this that seem to work. I don't see me ever being happy with this & I haven't
seen one picture yet of a unit with a galley like this.
cspoptarts
Teardrop Inspector

Re: changing a galley/body, need ideas or help

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:27 pm

The website, address below, will give you more ideas than you know what to do with!

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q120 ... show#/grid
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cspoptarts » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:41 pm

Thx so much. There were tons of ideas on that site but not for the style back end that we bought...that is our problem. i like those cabinets on the bottom but ours is just aluminum body clear up to the countertop. Cutting it out, hinging it, all seem like horrible hard to do...trying to think of other options to open up that bottom panel & then we can make all those zillions of ideas work...almost every picture except one had cabinets on the bottom!
cspoptarts
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:09 pm

You do have to look pretty hard to find ones like yours; and, I'll admit, I've never gotten through the entire slide show. Still, I think there are some in that galley somewhere.....

There used to be some old teardrops with the kind of galley bottom like what you've got (still are some around, I think). People used to build top-loading, built-in ice chests and sometimes even sinks into those areas. It's also a good place for pots and pans and Dutch Ovens, provided the top of that area works like a lid as well as a counter.

Best wishes on whatever you decide. (I still ponder on my galley and I've been using it for 3 years. HaHa!) The plan, just right for you, will probably come to you in the middle of the night, while you're trying to sleep. HaHa!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cspoptarts » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:27 pm

yes, it is one to ponder about....thinking there is someone out there with lots of imagination that can take one look at it & say 'you can do this...' lol
cspoptarts
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kayakdlk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:30 pm

How long is your teardrop. Many times on shorter 8ft builds the lower area for your feet creeps into the lower galley. If you have the room to use for the galley then I see you have a couple options.

1.) Hard to tell from the pictures if it is feasible but you could remove the current lower portion and rebuild a new hatch lid. Probably much more work than it is worth. Would of been easier building it that way the first time.

2) The other option is to build lower storage area with lift up lids or removable panels. While it is true most galleys have open areas or cabinets below there are several builds with galleys like yours. The Camp Inn has a galley kind of like yours.

cspoptarts wrote: I haven't seen one picture yet of a unit with a galley like this.

Well here are several: In the link Sharon sent you look at pictures 2, 44, 45, 173, 175, 178, 394, and 441. They all have galley's like yours is now. Specifically in picture 394 each of those panel lift or flip up to access storage below.

Check out these 4 pictures (Not sure where I got them or who's build. I downloaded hundreds of them a long time ago for ideas for my teardrop build). I would think you would store stuff below for travel, pull out and move above when settled in camp so you don't have to keep getting down below. With two or three opening/lids you could always keep one shut to use as counter area. Maybe not your ideal setup but doable and seems like a way easier way to finish the galley.

This one has three lift up lids. In this picture they are closed

In this picture they are open

This one has two hinged lids Open in this picture and closed in the last one

Good luck with your galley build
Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:36 pm

Mine isn't quite like that, but does make use of the undercounter space.

It makes sense on some designs not to have a super long hatch that can be a head bumper.

If you can't find a way to make what you have work for your style of camping, maybe selling it and finding another would be a better option than trying to rebuild what you have?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kharn » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:14 am

What about adding two or three RV baggage doors to the fixed panel?
Kharn
500 Club

Postby 48Rob » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:22 pm

by Kharn ยป Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:14 am

What about adding two or three RV baggage doors to the fixed panel?

Great idea! :thumbsup:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques