Help with vintage trailer window opening trim

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Help with vintage trailer window opening trim

Postby alicat » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:41 am

Hi everyone. My camping plan last year was to convert a 6x10 cargo trailer (that we already owned) into a TT. Due to not having enough time to dedicate to such an undertaking, we sold the cargo trailer and purchased a 10' 1975 Sprite TT (it feels more TTT!). It's in good condition, but it is missing the window trim on all four windows. Here is an example (http://i.imgur.com/fytxvJm.jpg) (sorry, it was just a quick "before" picture I took yesterday). The center window shows the white screen in the closed position, the right window shows it open.

The windows are hinged at the top and have a gasket that seals against the outside aluminium of the trailer, so the trailer is mostly water-tight. But the cross-section of the wall is exposed where the window openings were cut. There is nothing sealing/holding the aluminium, wooden sill and interior sheeting together around any of the openings. Total wall thickness is ~1-5/16" at the front, maybe a bit thinner on the sides. The corners are have a radius, so I need something flexible. Ideally I'd like to be able to buy the materials in Canada.

I was trying to find a rubber U-channel gasket, but had difficulty finding one with a gap that wide. Next thought was a 4" butyl flashing tape to wrap around the exposed edge. But the edge isn't entirely smooth, so I thought the tape might get punctured. Current thought is a maybe mould my own U-channel trim with oogoo, but I'm worried about final appearance and longevity.

This is my first travel trailer, so I'm hoping I'm missing a super easy fix/product that is the actual correct material to use. If not, I'm hoping you creative builders can offer some "why didn't I think of that" ideas. Thanks for your time!

Last edited by alicat on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alicat
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Help with vintage trailer window opening trim

Postby Gunguy05 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:44 am

Checkout trimlok. They have all sorts of gaskets for Windows.
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby alicat » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:00 pm

Gunguy05 wrote:Checkout trimlok. They have all sorts of gaskets for Windows.

I did, but their trims aren't wide enough. :( Thanks for posting though. :)
alicat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Micro469 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:58 pm

Looks like someone has repaired the inside walls. Your best bet would be to find some soft aluminum L shaped that you could anneal and bend around the corners, and then screw or rivet in place.
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques