Top Skin

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Top Skin

Postby ocasioc25 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:43 am

Hello all,

I am building on a 5x8 trailer. Since I have 60" on the inside of the trailer, that makes the walls 1.5" thick. Now I have 63" wide from front to back. I did manage to find 5'10' aluminum which will cover the sides perfectly. Is there a way to place the skin with out having a strip going across the roof? Or is there a over the edge trim at least 2" wide? I was thinking placing the 5'x10' from the from to the back and then a long 3" strip along side it. That or a strip across. Stuck here and have no clue how to make this work. Any suggestions would help.

Thank you

Carlos
ocasioc25
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Top Skin

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:18 pm

You could set the wall on top of the trailer rail (or floor) and just have the thin outer skin drop down to cover the frame (if that is what you want... my cabin sits fully on top of my frame with nothing sticking down).

If you use 1/4 ply outer skin (which IMO is more than adequate) you should be able to find trim that will cover the difference. If you are looking to maximize interior room an option would be to step down to 3/4 inch core for your walls (i.e. 1x2's studs in the flat instead of on edge, or skeleton plywood).

$0.02
Last edited by KCStudly on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Top Skin

Postby grant whipp » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Carlos!

If you've already built the cabin and are stuck with the 63" overall width ... find a local (or semi-local) tractor-truck trailer repair facility and purchase some 103" wide .040" aluminum that they use to replace the roofs of the big semi-trailers ... you'll have a little over 3' of off-fall, but you'll find a use for it some place, some time ... ;) ...!

Good Luck, and as always ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques