Sealing Galley Hatch

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Sealing Galley Hatch

Postby Danidog » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:39 pm

[img]
galley%20setup.jpg
[/img]

I'm kinda lost as to how to best seal the hatch. Does it matter if I place the gasket on the back edge of the trailer, on the galley door itself and/or should I add something else (framing?) inside the back edge?

Also, does anyone know of a source for latched like a hood latch on a large commercial truck hood? Or like the old jeep hood latches? I have seen them made of some kind of h.d. rubber-like material but can't find them now.

Any help appreciated.
Attachments
galley setup.jpg
galley setup.jpg (93.1 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Sealing Galley Hatch

Postby KCStudly » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:26 pm

At least for the lower rear edge, I like the idea of putting the seal on the hatch, instead of the rear of the floor, or in your case the edge of your counter. That way the seal is out of harms way when the hatch is up, and is less apt to be damaged by dragging things on it (coolers, stoves and such) or from getting knocked around.

Your first pic didn't render properly, and I don't see any related pic's in your gallery, so it's hard to say for sure, but it looks like your upper hatch might close down against the edge of your counter, only. If that is the case, water will likely collect on the ledge (where your hatch prop is resting). In that case it would be a good idea to put a flap along the bottom of the hatch so that it overlaps the lower rear panel when closed. Then the seal could go on the inside of the flap and close on the lower panel.

I'm not sure I'm seeing it right, but I think that might be what you're asking. :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:27 pm

Hey, Danidog!

The Hatch Seal is typically installed on the hatch lid ... the stuff I sell has a self-adhesive backing, so no glue necessary. Since your photo doesn't show the hatch lid, itself, I can't say whether or not you'll need any other additional "something else (framing?) inside the back edge?"

Re: the rubber-type latches ... almost any decent off-road supply outfit will have what you are looking for ... they're typically used for holding down the hoods of a lot of Jeeps, as well as other similar applications.

Good Luck, and as always ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Danidog » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:54 am

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it! It's hard to imagine what works best when you are building your first. If it weren't for this wonderful site, I wouldn't have even tried to start. People here take the pain (most of it) out of trying something new.

Grant, I'll be ordering your seal mid to late week (I'm also coveting a couple of your windows :) .

Danidog
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques