Roof Racks

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Roof Racks

Postby wyrdone » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Looking for a set of rook racks that will fit a 5' wide. Prefer to either bolt on to the top or the sides.

I looked around here and on e-trailer and I found a few different options but most of them seem to be targeted at adding to "cars" and not something like a teardrop.

I found these: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-C ... RA-28.html But they seem kinda....non-elegant.

I'd like the option to toss a couple Kayaks on top of the trailer.
wyrdone
Teardrop Builder

Re: Roof Racks

Postby desertmoose » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:37 pm

desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:38 pm

As stated Grant can fix you up with everything needed, if you are a do it your self guy like me, there are plenty of ideas out there. Here's a link to my rack mounting.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=60566
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Thule makes tracks for flat roofs, intended to be used on RVs or pickup truck caps, but you could put them on a flatish-roofed tear easily enough (or cut them into short segments as needed).
Only problem is the tracks, feet and bars will cost you around $500.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby Chuckles » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:18 pm

I got lucky and found four pairs of Yakima 1A raingutter racks with bars for $30.00 at a rummage sale :thumbsup:

I was going to buy the Yakima "wide body" clips that bolt to truck camper shells but they wanted $40.00 a pair for them. Instead my brother bent some stainless ones for me.
They are currently bolted on with only two 1/4 inch stainless bolts and they are rock solid! They have four mounting holes in them but the bottom two fall on a section of wall without backing so I'm going to remove them this winter and drill a bottom center hole that will fall in a vertical "wall stud". Then I'll clip the bottom edges so they have a more triangular shape.
Chuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby kookenotes » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi Wyrdone - As stated by others, Grant Whipp is the man. I just installed a set of his roof racks on a set of side mount rails similar to Chuckles. It is really first class gear that you will be proud to put on your TD. Grant is a class act and very helpful. Good luck with your project. Bill
kookenotes
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques