Leaf springs or torsion axle?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Leaf springs or torsion axle?

Postby Kaz » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:45 pm

I've built my frame for my 5 x 9 teardrop. Now I need an axle, my question is which way to go. Seems as though everybody tends to go with torsion axles. My concern with torsion axles is that once they are designed for a specific weight that's it, whereas with leaf springs I can change leafs relatively inexpensively. The other problem I see with torsion axles is the can loose their elasticity over time and can be costly to replace. On another note I estimate my trailer will probably weight less than 1500# fully loaded so at this weight it is really not going to be able to maximize the benefits of a cambered axle. With such a light weight is a cambered axle necessary? Any input would be greatly appreciated. :crazy:
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Re: Leaf springs or torsion axle?

Postby MtnDon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:56 pm

You could consider a Fexirids axle. The arms have a splined connection and can be repositioned to vary ride height.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Might be better to get a closer determination of final weight so that which ever spring style you choose will be closely matched to give you the best ride possible.
The are pro's and cons to each style.

The need to change leaf springs after the trailer is done can be eliminated by knowing the final weight within a couple hundred pounds.
Torsion springs do wear out, but leaf springs need maintenance to keep them working as new.

Don pointed out a neat feature of the flexride torsion axle, which is the ability to change the final ride height.

Either style will serve you well.

Rob
(lot of help, huh? ;) )
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:50 pm

2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:00 pm

Nearly every torsion axle mfg. will tell you that the loss of elasticity is mostly myth ... yes, under extreme conditions, it is a possibility, but under the typical use that we normally see in teardropping and tiny trailering, you won't have a problem. I've never had a failure of any kind with torsion axles in well over 25 years, and frankly, wouldn't consider anything else. I've even had several discussions with serious off-road enthusiasts, and while they admit to parroting the concerns of failure and loss of elasticity, no one has ever been able to relate a verifiable & documented case. The other benefit of torsion axles is that you will never need shocks.

However you choose, Good Luck! And, as always ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Breytie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am

PLUS torsion can give a much lower ride height for lower drag and fuel consumption. While possibly giving better ground clearance under the belly at the same time. And you can leave out a cross-member. AND they are easier to install. And have less parts to go wrong.
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:44 am

Judging by when folks at the FiberglassRV forum discuss having to replace their rubber torsion axles, the lifespan is 25-30 years. Do you consider that too short?
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby alaska teardrop » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:30 am

Another advantage of the torsion axle is independent suspension and considered to be a better & safer ride.
As far as determining the suspension rate, with either choice, the spring or axle can be ordered after the trailer is built & weighed. I find it convenient to build on a four wheel dolly.
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:09 pm

angib wrote:Judging by when folks at the FiberglassRV forum discuss having to replace their rubber torsion axles, the lifespan is 25-30 years. Do you consider that too short?

By that point many leaf springs need replacing too.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby eggsalad » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:46 pm

As far as I'm concerned, it's a pretty simple cost/quality matrix.

There's little doubt in my mind that a torsion axle has several significant advantages over a leaf-spring axle. About the only advantage leaf-sprung axles have is the price.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:50 pm

Which brand is better, Ford or Chevy... :cigar:
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kaz » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Thank you all for your input's . I guess the problem I have with the independent torsion set ups is the fear of improper alignment and premature tire wear. I have done leafs before and they are so easy, especially for the garage engineer.The frame is square and level to within 1/32" but I think that was luck. Just gotta grow a set and go for it I guess.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:18 pm

Kaz,

Most torsion axles have a "connecting" tube, which makes alignment no different than mounting a conventional leaf spring axle.

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:01 pm

48Rob wrote:Kaz,

Most torsion axles have a "connecting" tube, which makes alignment no different than mounting a conventional leaf spring axle.

Rob

Correct. Buy a Dexter or a Flexiride and it comes as Rob described. The two torsion arms are connected to a square tube that holds left and right sides in alignment. The entire unit is mounted to the frame. That requires the same careful measuring as you need to exercise when mounting leaft spring mounts to the frame.

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques