Question about teadrop wheels

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Question about teadrop wheels

Postby lazyriverstudio » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:38 am

Hello everyone.
Wondering if you can offer a first time builder some advice? I am building a woody on a Northern Tool 8 X 5' kit. The kit came with 12" tires and I just realized that the max speed for these tires is 55 MPH. Since I will be doing all highway miles on this, I would like an option to be able to go upwards of 70 MPH. Hoping you can give advice on my 2 options below:

1) Upgrade to a larger 15" wheel. This is the preference. But all the wheels I have come across so far will not fit... the inner wall of a 15" tire will hit the teardrop side wall. Please see the picture below of the clearance I currently have for a 12" wheel. So the question is. Would you know of a 15" wheel that is designed for scenarios like this? Or do you know of an extension spacer... one that has worked well for teardrops? I was told by a friend to search for a spacer that has its own set of studs if I go this route.

2) Search for a 12" replacement tire that has a thicker ply... one that can withstand the higher speeds. This is my second option (a different friend told me about this one). Anyone have any references for tire dealers that would sell such a tire?

Any overall words of wisdom? I guess I would like a larger tire for the aesthetics and for a smoother ride. But I will go with the 12" option if you guys think I should.

OH, BTW, this trailer has a 5 stud orientation. I am guessing the stud spacing is a universal 5 stud layout... I measured the distance between holes in the wheel and came up with approx. 2 11/16". NOTE, I originally purchased a 15" wheel, replacement set at Menards and it fit the stud layout perfect (but had to return because of the side wall issue). I then purchased a 13" wheel, replacement set at Menards and the same thing... fit the studs perfect but side wall issue.

Thanks much!
scott

Scott, Lazy River Studio
www.lazyriverstudio.com
lazyriverstudio
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Question about teadrop wheels

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:39 am

I built on a Northern Tool Trailer. Had your same problem, plus I wanted 15" wheels. So I bought 1" aluminum wheel spaces to solve my problem. Trailer has about 15K miles on it with no issues.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:25 am

Wood Butcher has your answer ...most wheel adapters have a 1" thickness to them (spacing) and will bolt to your 5 lug pattern and then will let you bolt up the 5 lug wheels you purchase. You do have to purchase your adapters according to your existing 5 lug pattern (which I'm going to assume is metric) to whatever 5 lug pattern you buy or choose for your larger diameter rims. These things are all over ebay, or if your not sure or comfortable ordering them yourself, your local tire supplier should be able to get verify what you need and also get them for you.

Good Luck! Larry :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby lazyriverstudio » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:21 am

Thanks Woodbutcher and Redneck!!! I found them on ebay! I looked on Ebay earlier but I was apparently using the wrong terms. So thanks guys!
Scott
Scott, Lazy River Studio
www.lazyriverstudio.com
lazyriverstudio
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Plueger » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:58 pm

I am also using this trailer and have been dealing with the same issue. Can anyone put a link in here for a 1 inch spacer that they know works on this trailer?
Plueger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:14 pm

These work if you are using 5x4.5 spacing on your new wheels. You also need to try and find zero offset wheels. That means where the wheel bolts to the spacer is about center in the rim. Before buying tires and rims you need to check that out .Also allow extra for the tire sticking out past the rim edge. In other words, lay a straight edge across the back side of the mounted tire. Measure from the center of the wheel (bolting area) to the straight edge. Then measure from the face of the wheel spacer to the edge of the frame . You need about 1" of clearance to be safe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Billet-Wheel- ... 10&vxp=mtr
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Plueger » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:39 am

Thanks Woodbutcher. That looks like it would work. I do have the 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern. With these spacers I should be able to use this rim. http://www.jegs.com/i/American-Racing/2 ... tId=748875
Plueger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:35 am

They list "rear spacing" as 1-1/2 inch. Is one to assume that this is the same terminology as positive offset?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:56 am

Not sure KC. That would be my guess. I would call and talk to a sales rep before ordering. Also that rim is only 4" wide. Be sure you can get proper tires before ordering also. That is a very narrow rim.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques