steel tube and steel sheet metal cabin???

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

steel tube and steel sheet metal cabin???

Postby IamJerryP » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:07 am

Has anyone built a cabin frame of steel tubing???
Airplanes use steel tubing and they are light.
I have access to thin wall tubing, at a good price, and sheet metal of any size I want.
and I am comfortable working with steel, as I make custom steel dog crate furniture as a side line
It would be a lot less money than aluminum, with a minor weight penalty if I can avoid over building.
I prefer steel over wood for siding and frame, plus, i can mig, or tig it together pretty strong, and then weld on the steel siding, or go with a aircraft fabric, and paint.
The steel siding would be easy to form the curves, and would not need the plywood.
some parts might be heavier individually, but some parts would not be needed either, because of the strength steel affords.
A bit of bed liner sprayed on would prevent oil canning, but then again, it is not like you would be in it when moving down the road.
IamJerryP
Teardrop Builder

Re: steel tube and steel sheet metal cabin???

Postby grant whipp » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:51 am

It's been done, Jerry ... many times! The Five Wide Club out of the Cloverdale, CA, area have built all of their many many teardrops using steel tubing ... they even built one, start-to-finish in four days, at the 20th Dam Gathering of the Tears in May of 2013! Just make sure to insulate it and skin the inside with something that won't sweat or allow moisture to condense on it while you are sleeping in it ... ;) ...!

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby IamJerryP » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:12 am

Thanks.
Would you happen to have a link to some more info, or pictures on it ??????
IamJerryP
Teardrop Builder

Postby grant whipp » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:27 am

Hey, Jerry!

None of the Five Wide folks have a website (that I know of), but Keith is a member here and might see this post and comment sometime ... Norm has a Facebook page at Norms' Speed Shop, Living the Dream ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/Norms-Spe ... The-Dream/ ) where he posted a youtube video of the 20th DG teardrop build last Summer ... other than that, I can't help you, sorry.

I'm sure there are several others who have built using steel tubing ... hopefully they will chime in here soon. Good luck, and as always ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby IamJerryP » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks, It is more than I had to go on.
Really, it should be a relatively straight forward process to build one, but it is helpful to see what others have done, and avoid mistakes.
IamJerryP
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:24 am

Alaska Teardrop builds very light weight TD's with steel cage frames. He uses VHB tape and rivets to install aluminum skins, and other modern materials for insulation and trim.

A page from his photo album: http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&start=36

Also, he did the Glampette build for blogger Stacie Tamaki.

He has been very helpful sharing his build techniques; you would do well to search out his posts on the subject.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques