Help with Plans ?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Help with Plans ?

Postby CampingDad » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:58 am

I don't know if this is the right place to post this. If it isn't mods please relocate it.

As stated in my newbie post I want to build a tiny camper with my sons.

I found this one online and would like to build something similar. (See Picture)

I have a 5x8 carryon trailer to build it on. Has a 2000lb axle.

I am looking for the following features:

1. room for a queen size inflatable air mattress
2. room for window airconditioner
3. power for air conditioner and and external outlet
4. flat roof so I can mount solar panels later on
5. 2 windows for light
6. One door on rear preferably to make it easier to get in and out. Possibly even a hatch back
7. Ability to attach a 2 bike rack on front or rear. Allowing me to take our bikes with us.
8. Room for a small shelf and a 13" tv/dvd for those rainy days
9. Ability to attach some kinda tarp awning (also for rainy days)
10. Possibility to insulate maybe?

Don't need a kitchen or bathroom.

I don't have a clue how to start building. I have in mind some materials for the shell which I use in my sign business it's 1/2 plywood with .040 aluminum already glued onto both sides main walls, floors, roof.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can get plans for free or purchase them. I am not opposed to purchasing detailed plans and instructions from someone.
Attachments
img2761452f5742a0b9c1.JPG
img2761452f5742a0b9c1.JPG (136.16 KiB) Viewed 878 times
CampingDad
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Help with Plans ?

Postby bc toys » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:12 am

Welcome again, why don't you go to big box store and get some cardboard sheets and cut to the size of trailer you think you need. Sit in it for a while,
most of the wood frame work on the trailers is 1x3 or 2x2 wood and you wold need to place them on a 16'' center or closer measure for the door size you want
if you are going to make your on door, you will need framing material and if you order a pre made door you need to know the measurements for cut out.
You may want to look at Grants page for windows doors and trimming.
I would make a little pitch for rain run off on roof, figure out where you want to put A/C and if it is going to be removable you need a hatch door for that.
Well theres your plans and let the kids stay in the card board trailer with you. Oh if you are going to have bunks for the boys you will need to figure out where
to put them as well. Hope this helps you with your build. If you live near Las Vegas and want a cargo side door I got one.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CampingDad » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:37 am

Thanks for the advice. Other comments are appreciated.
CampingDad
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:53 am

You could always set a mini barn on it !

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30307

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby CampingDad » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:39 am

bobhenry wrote:You could always set a mini barn on it !

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30307

Thats friggin awesome. Way more than what I need but, scaled down that might just do the trick.
CampingDad
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:05 pm

In a 5x8 or 5x10 non-standie/non-slouchie you are definitely going to want side doors, IMHO. Having to crawl forward from a rear entry over an air mattress might not be as convenient as you are envisioning.

Also, on the subject of air mattresses, depending on where and when (time of year) you will be camping, many people have noted that air mattresses don't have the same insulating effect that foam mattresses do.

If you like that profile, I say go for it. The solar panels (unless you go with the newer flexible ones... which is an option) are generally mounted on standoffs anyway, so having a slightly arched roof isn't really a problem. Bending 5 mm, or even 1/4 inch ply in that gentle of an arch will not be a problem at all, so don't be afraid to do an arched roof.

The best advice would be to read a bunch of build threads, and study up on the techniques, including the sticky threads. There is a huge wealth of knowledge on this site, all what you need to know and learn is here for the taking; it just takes a little time to read and learn. There are a lot of mistakes to avoid, so don't rush it. :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby CampingDad » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:28 pm

I found plans on the site. If anyone comes behind me here is the link to the gallery with lots of plans. Found exactly what I was looking for there to get me started in the right direction.

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear00.htm
CampingDad
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:28 am

Check out the Generic Benroy plans at the top of the page. Your entire list is possible with those plans and they are free!
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby CampingDad » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:08 am

Looked at the benroy then found this one http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear46.htm

Going to modify it to be wider, but the simple design looked like it would fit my needs better with the kitchen taken out. Allowing me the back hatch for loading gear and setting up and the side door for crawling in and out.

I both backpack and car camp a lot so most of my gear is fairly light to begin with to cut down on space with 3-4 of us on a trip. So, this will serve mulitple purposes every weekend. Both as a hauler for camping, a base station for hiking, and as an alternative to hotel rooms when just getting away for a quick weekend. (Alternatively, great for evacuating from a hurricane when there are no rooms or places to stay when your hauling ass out of the way through another state.)
CampingDad
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques