Hinge gap issue

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Hinge gap issue

Postby Forrest747 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:15 am

I messed up. in trying to use as many things jeep on my trailer I used hood hinges as hinges for the rear hatch. is not working for me. took it out this last summer and of course in the downpour water loved the huge gap. I am thinking of ways to put a more traditional hinge like a piano hinge or even a hurricane hinge. I am ok modifying if i have to. Thank you
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Re: Hinge gap issue

Postby citylights » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:28 pm

You could repair or replace the existing hinges and install a EPDM or neoprene strip to cover hinges and gap. The EDPM or neoprene will flex when you open, close and keep the water out. It will probably have to be replaced at least every 5 years.

If you use a piano hinge the EPDM or neoplrine cover is still required to keep it water proof.

Other than that... Get a hurricane hinge, dry fit it in place and cut back and patch/fill until you can make it work.
citylights
500 Club

Re: Hinge gap issue

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:55 pm

What about putting a piece of rubber roof under the hinge you have now. Cut a strip large enough to bridge the gap and go under the hinge so they still show. Then run a piece of RV insert flat molding between the hinges to hold the rubber in place. The rubber will allow for flexing and if you leave the rubber just slightly longer then the galley the water will run off without coming in around the corner. Just my thoughts before you start over.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques