off set hinge

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

off set hinge

Postby mikefree » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:30 am

Hey. The hinge I came up with ( Ive been gathering parts for awhile and didnt read enough) has a weird offset. I see allot of the hinges online are the same level so the roof and the hatch are inline. any advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
hinge j.jpg
hinge j.jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 377 times
mikefree
Teardrop Inspector

Re: off set hinge

Postby dales133 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:34 am

Fold the part in your hand down and it should solve the offset
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:19 am

Dale is right in that you need to rotate that part in your hand 90ยบ downward, but you still have the offset galley lid hinge. If you want the 0-offset, you'll need to exchange the one you have (assuming that whoever you got your's from carries the 0-offset version), otherwise you'll have to purchase it from myself or Vintage Technologies and try to sell this one. You can, however, get back to the 0-offset by placing a 1/4" aluminum bar-stock shim under the horizontal flange of the hatch side piece ... that'll get rid of the offset, but you'll still have the 3/8" higher "crown" ...

Let me know if I can be of further assistance ... happy to help any way I can! Good Luck, and ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby mikefree » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:52 pm

I borrowed that picture of the net but it looks pretty much like that. I got the hinge off an old truck cap that was scrapped. Don't think I can trade it in :)
Thanks for the info guys. Ill shim it up. Grant i will be after you at some point to buy trim but I'm a ways off that.
Thanks again.
mikefree
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques