Torsion Axle for Gene's Tear In-Design

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Chip » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:29 pm

My last trailer had a large tongue weight and is a definate concern, this time I am building the box over a slightely shorter frame,, I glued two guides onto the bottom of the floor to center the box on the frame after I get it close to finished,, I can slide the entire box back or forwards to compensate for any weight destributation problems,, then when the tongue weight is close to being just right Ill drill the mounting bolt holes and secure the box and frame together,,, the location so far;40/60 ratio is just about right, but I might need to add a little to the tongue sans a tongue box or battery box up front,, just my way of skinning the cat,,

chiper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:36 am

I posted this in another thread but it is applicable here as well...

Grant's point about weight ratings reminds me of a couple of points that I have not seen mentioned and all may not know about.

First, your axle should be sized at 50% over intended load...in other word a 1000# trailer should be riding on a 1500# axle. This will give you your best ride/handling characteristics without being to stiff or too soft

Second, when you order a Flexiride or Dexter, the order form shows a 900#, 2000# and so on...
...these are the max rates that these axles are made for...
...you can order the weight rating at whatever you desire within that range...
...for example...
...when I ordered our 2000# Flexirde, I specified that it be configured for a 1500# weight rating, because I figured a 1000# max load when completely loaded for a trip
...the 2000# Flexiride and Dexter axles can be had in a range of 1000#'s to 2000#'s...
...this "adjustability" follows thru for all their axle size ranges...
...Just something to keep in kind when ordering

madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques