Star Wheel Hatch Prop

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby angib » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:51 am

Kevin,

I'll need to do some drawing to explain what I mean, so it might be a day or two until I answer! But your second (side-on) photo will be perfect for drawing over!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ira » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:28 pm

arnereil wrote: so went with broom handles....

Ahhh...I wish Shil would chime in here with this too, because I know he followed the same route:

This is the one build detail that we're going real simple.

Just two stupid sticks mounted into flag pole brackets.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby JohnF » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:16 pm

I think I figured out a way to use the star wheel hatch props. It isn't what I wanted, but its practical and saves the iinvestment.

I drilled out the mounting brackets. The one for the bottom is merely reversed and re-bolted to the bottom of the star wheel arm. That bracket will be bolted to the surface of the work table of the cabinetry as close as possible to the side wall.

The top of the star wheel arm will have a 90-degree angle metal piece bolted on so that the bend, or 'flat' side will be parallel to the inside of the hatch when it is raised.

On the hatch I will run a bolt in from the outside (about a 1/4-inch or 3/8-inch size) - the 90-degree 'ell' will have a mating hole that will let the hatch bolt slip through. I will simply run a nut or a thumb wheel with a captive threaded nut inside it, onto the bolt. That will keep the hatch from lifting in a wind and hold it securely. Both sides get this treatment.

When I want to close the hatch, the nut/thumb wheel is loosened, the hatch raised, the star wheel collapsed, and folded forward against the cabinet. In order to prevent scratching or maring the cabinet I will slip a foam tube over the star wheel arm and rest it against the cabinet.

Not perfect, but there won't be any loose broom handles or other sticks floating about.

If I can ever figure out how to post a photo I will do so...yes, I have read the instructions, but still am 'stumped.'
JohnF
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques