T molding on doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

T molding on doors

Postby kenafp » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:47 am

I've seen it both ways, but which is the most effective way to block out water?
With the Trim molding on the outside of the door or on the inside of the TD door frame?

Or both?
It's a good life!
Ken

Build Journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60665
kenafp
Teardrop Advisor

Re: T molding on doors

Postby backstrap bandit » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:53 am

Good question waiting for reply fixn to do my doors soon only thing I can say is outside so u wouldn't have that metal edge to cross when entering just my thought
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby grant whipp » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:04 pm

I've seen it done both ways, and I've seen it done combined ... however, in my opinion and in my experience, I would have to say that going with the T-Molding on the outside of the door is more effective ... and, I'm with "backstrap" in that I wouldn't like having that metal edge poking up on the threshold (a thicker and rounded-off wooden "sill" would be preferable, if you wanted an inside seal). Hope that made sense ... ;) ...! As always ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby kenafp » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:45 pm

It's a good life!
Ken

Build Journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60665
kenafp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Diemjoe » Wed May 27, 2015 3:57 pm

I am at the point where i am getting ready to order my door trim. Base on what I have read around the forum, Aluminum T-Moulding seems to be the easiest. I am just not sure of the details. I have uploaded a drawing of what I am thinking.
It isn't to scale, but this shows the door shape. I cut the door out of the wall and skin so it fits in the wall opening.
I haven't found any aluminum trip that will cover the 1 1/4" inched exposed wall and door edge, Anyone know of any sources of J or C cap that would fit?
I will probably go with a piano hinge but not decided yet.
The T molding on the threshold seems like it would scrape the legs getting in and out. I guess I could put T-moulding on the Outside of the door bottom.
in the photo the T-molding on the outside would be attached to the door. On the inside attached to the Wall. Where would I attached the weather stripping?

In short, I am having trouble conceptualizing a good waterproof solution for the doors. As usual I am not committed to this design and welcome any additional options. I won't be skinning with aluminum though.

Thanks

Don Miller
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

T molding on doors

Postby aggie79 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:52 am

Diemjoe wrote:I am at the point where i am getting ready to order my door trim. Base on what I have read around the forum, Aluminum T-Moulding seems to be the easiest. I am just not sure of the details. I have uploaded a drawing of what I am thinking.
It isn't to scale, but this shows the door shape. I cut the door out of the wall and skin so it fits in the wall opening.
I haven't found any aluminum trip that will cover the 1 1/4" inched exposed wall and door edge, Anyone know of any sources of J or C cap that would fit?
I will probably go with a piano hinge but not decided yet.
The T molding on the threshold seems like it would scrape the legs getting in and out. I guess I could put T-moulding on the Outside of the door bottom.
in the photo the T-molding on the outside would be attached to the door. On the inside attached to the Wall. Where would I attached the weather stripping?

In short, I am having trouble conceptualizing a good waterproof solution for the doors. As usual I am not committed to this design and welcome any additional options. I won't be skinning with aluminum though.

Thanks

Don Miller

Don,

My doors/walls are 1-1/4" thick too. It took a lot of time, but I used two pieces of trim on my door. Here's a sketch of how I did the trim and door seals. (The outer seal on the t-molding worked so well that I never did the inner seal.)

First I applied a wall cap trim with the lip toward the inside of the door.

Then I applied the t-molding around the outside edge. (I did round off the corners so I would not have sharp "points" at the corners).

A few other tips. If you use t-molding, you need to offset the plane of the door 1/8" or so out away from the plane of the sidewall to leave room for door seals. For the type of hinges I used, I added a 1/8" thick spacer on the wall side of the hinge. I used t-molding all around the door. If you do this, to keep the t-molding from binding on the hinge side, you need to use hinges where the hinge point is offset outside of the outer edge of the t-molding.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Tom
Last edited by aggie79 on Sat May 30, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Diemjoe » Thu May 28, 2015 9:06 am

Thanks Tom, Your write up with the pics is very much appreciated. It is exactly what I was looking for. Where did you source your hinges from?
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Thu May 28, 2015 12:51 pm

Diemjoe wrote:Thanks Tom, Your write up with the pics is very much appreciated. It is exactly what I was looking for. Where did you source your hinges from?

Don,

I bought the hinges from McMaster-Carr. Their website is www.mcmaster.com. Specifically, they are the polished stainless steel strap hinges, part no. 1264A12. Beware that they are fairly expensive. At the time I bought them they were about 30% less than they are now. Two per door works well. I used three per door because I thought that looked better.

McMaster has unbelievable selection of parts and hardware, excellent customer service, and very quick delivery, although they can be a little pricey. I've seen similar hinges made of chromed "pot metal" that should more than sufficiently strong for the doors.

BTW, I bought my aluminum trim from Grant at Lil Bear Teardrop parts.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby Diemjoe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi Tom, (and anyone else)
I was wondering where you sourced your trim Hardware? My walls are 1 1/8 inch thick and HT09 on http://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/Hin ... _Trim.html is only 7/8" wide. From the drawing, it looks like you were able to find cap molding that covered the entire width of the wall.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:03 pm

Don,
I bought my wall cap trim from Grant Whipp (see a few posts above). Grant is semi-retired but I think he may still sell trim. Here is his website:
http://www.teardrops.net/teardroptrailerparts.html
Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques