TD Mattress

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby kurtibm » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:51 am

This place on eBay seems to have an almost inexaustable supply of memory foam toppers...

http://cgi.ebay.com/299-Memory-Foam-3-inch-Mattress-Topper-Twin-SzNR_W0QQitemZ4426916727QQcategoryZ37647QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:29 pm

Gonna have to watch that and see what the final price is. Looks like one of those that sell you the product for next to nothing and then scalp you on the shipping. Says $48 (for standard ground) to my place, seems awful high for something that will probly weigh in around 10 pds and they will put in a plastic bag and vacuum squish down to a less than 18 inch sq box.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:55 pm

You can't sew really fabrics on a regular home sewing maching...but, Doug, I guess you found that out. I ruined one sewing heavy herculon fabric (with some rubber backing) for sofa upholstery. I think sewing the welting in (thru 3 layers of fabric) is what did it. I'll choose seat cushion fabris that isn't too heavy to sew.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:38 pm

The toppers are usually slightly undersized compared to the stated bed size. Not a big issue but it something to take notice of.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:51 pm

kurtibm wrote:This place on eBay seems to have an almost inexaustable supply of memory foam toppers...

http://cgi.ebay.com/299-Memory-Foam-3-inch-Mattress-Topper-Twin-SzNR_W0QQitemZ4426916727QQcategoryZ37647QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow not very good feedback.
positive 12926 93350 209469

neutral 516 4276 9837

negative 483 4823 11346
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:08 pm

asianflava wrote:The toppers are usually slightly undersized compared to the stated bed size. Not a big issue but it something to take notice of.

That works for me. My interior will be about 59" wide, so I plan on getting cushions that width. Most queen toppers are 58", so it fits well enough for me.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:31 pm

cracker39 wrote:You can't sew really fabrics on a regular home sewing maching...but, Doug, I guess you found that out. I ruined one sewing heavy herculon fabric (with some rubber backing) for sofa upholstery. I think sewing the welting in (thru 3 layers of fabric) is what did it. I'll choose seat cushion fabris that isn't too heavy to sew.

Fortunately I didn't screw it up...I was able to fix it....I'm sewing through 3 layers of rip stop nylon and then 1" wide black nylon webbing...using nylon upholstry thread...If I take my time it works out OK...my machine is a high end home one, can easily go through 8 layers of flannel with a walking foot....the hardest part is sewing up the fabric to match the curve of the hatch without it creeping apart when I'm sewing....maybe this will be my test ....and actually do it cleaner later...I'll test on some upholstry fabric and see if I can sew up cushion covers...maybe I can help Dean out afterall.... :thumbsup: .Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:52 am

cracker39 wrote:You can't sew really fabrics on a regular home sewing maching.. I ruined one sewing heavy herculon fabric (with some rubber backing) for sofa upholstery. I think sewing the welting in (thru 3 layers of fabric) is what did it.

You guys are just using the wrong sewing machines. I have an old Singer cabinet machine and that baby will sew almost anything. I used it to re-upholster my couch with some heavy upholstery cloth, some places as many as six layers (don't ask) and it never even flinched. I have even sewn thru 4 layers of heavy denim cloth and 2 layers of plastic milk jug at the same time, no problem.
Course they don't make 'em like they useta. Mine's electric (still all original) but I wanted to get my grandma's treadle machine when she died but I think one of my dad's sisters got it. That was a really good machine.
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby dhazard » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:58 am

Nitetimes, what were you sewing milk jugs into? :shock:
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:08 am

Nitetimes...I certainly hope you don't take this the wrong way...but how is that colostomy bag milk jug thing working out in your pants? :lol: :lol: now that's funny, I don't care who ya are...Git-R-dun!!!!.....and all kidding aside...an old Singer featherweight is just about bullet proof and will do the job...I sold mine...wish I had it now.... doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dhazard » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:15 am

Ask a stupid question and get a colostomy bag :shock:
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:06 am

I see the comedians are all out tonite! lol
8) :lol: :lol: :applause:
Actually I needed a holster for my black powder revolver for deer season and it had to be stiff enough to get it out of quick, didn't have any leather laying around but I did have an old pair of bluejeans but denim isn't stiff enough to make a good holster so I sandwiched a milk jug in between 2 layers of denim. Worked quite well actually tho I didn't get a shot at a deer with it, couldn't get one close enough. Not much range to those things.

doug hodder wrote:and all kidding aside...an old Singer featherweight is just about bullet proof and will do the job...I sold mine...wish I had it now.... doug

Who-ever gave them that name musta lifted telephone poles for a living, this thing is anything but light weight. Kinda like carrying a ship anchor around but they are definately the way to go if you don't need all the bells and whistles the modern machines have. Mine did come with a button holer and some type of embroidery gizmo but I never have used either of them.
I have had a couple of newer ones but I always find myself giving them away, still have the Singer tho, just can't part with it.
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:11 am

Nitetimes wrote:
8) :lol: :lol: :applause:

Who-ever gave them that name musta lifted telephone poles for a living, .

the Featherweight was a small machine, only weighed 11#s sold as the do everything machine for the homemaker...made them from the 30's through the 60's very collectable...came in a small wooden case...doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:45 am

If it's 11lbs. it's a heavy 11lbs! It's tough to rotate it up out of the cabinet. Mine's not in a little wooden box, actually it's a pretty nice cabinet for as old as it is. Got the wings out both sides and the pedal integrated into the cabinet. I suppose someone paid a good buck for it when it was new but I had it given to me so I can't complain.
Someday I should probably refinish the cabinet... someday.

Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:11 am

that machine was available in a portable box with a foot pedal on a cord....you can check it out online...can't remember the site now....but you can check the numbers and get all the info on it right down to the date it was built and from what plant it was built in....I sold mine for 550$, no cabinet...just in the box....depends on the finish on the deck, and whether the decals are marked up or not, had a high gloss lacquer finish...It was also available in a free arm machine....I think you've got a model 221....that machine is very collectable in the right market, if in good shape....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques