Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

gas struts

Postby felixx » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:47 am

Would station wagon gas struts be strong enough for a hatch
felixx
Donating Member

Re: gas struts

Postby dales133 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:28 am

Realy depends mate, what sort of weight do you recon your hatch is?
Struts off a large station Wagon may do the trick or a Hi ace van maybe but if you get them on ebay they arnt that expensive new so unless thier free or cheap you might be better off with new.
There's a formula for working out the stroke and strength.
You could probably find it on line or find a place that sells universal ones and they will work it out for you....even if you don't end up getting them there ;).
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby coyote » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:37 am

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6319&hilit=Gas+struts+Grant Don't know if this will work and get you there, but I have saved a topic (page) can't think of the word. I own a pair of new shocks, theyre laying on the work bench.....but that link has lots of good info. If this doesn't work shoot me a p.m. And I'll try something else. Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:02 pm

Your struts might work, maybe not.
Its vital to know the strength, placement, and weight of hatch to calculate if its going to work.
Otherwise its a seat of pants trial & error, or you just might get lucky off the crack. Who knows ?

www.mcmaster.com has a calculator / tutorial page to help you choose a strut, but you would have to know the strength of the stationwagon struts you are considering to use.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:22 pm

It boils down to a leverage issue. The opened and closed length of the strut, and its pressure rating, versus the arc of travel you want for the hatch (opened and closed positions) and how that relates to the fixed mounting point of the strut. Also, if the angle of thrust of the strut is not optimized to the hatch angle, the available thrust can be misdirected (vector force relationship, in other words, the strut force may be applied inefficiently, perhaps more towards ripping the hinge and less towards lifting the hatch).

And then there is the weight of the hatch and its center of gravity with relation to the hinge. A steeper more vertical hatch will be easier to lift initially than a longer hatch that is laid out flatter.

A longer strut with longer throw will put less stress on the hinge and mounting point because the force is directed closer to the hatch CG than it would be with a shorter strut with shorter throw, which has less mechanical advantage due to the leverage of the hatch.

It would be much better to do a mock up and some research and try to get close, rather than trial and error. There are are many fine examples of builders who clamped scraps to the insides of their galleys to work out the weights and geometry, and check for interferences; and even more examples of people who ended up with extra holes in their walls and hatches, along with extra hassles exchanging struts for differently rated ones.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques