Want to build insulated walls using skeletonized (help)

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Want to build insulated walls using skeletonized (help)

Postby Dave K » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:12 pm

Need to build insulated walls for my teardrop restoration. Thinking of using a outer sheet of 3/8" (don't have a choice on the 3/8" because that what it was originally built with) followed with a skeletonized sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" filling the skeletonized holes with foam. Then a sheet the inside with 1/8" on the inside walls. Does anyone have pictures of there build using this method? Any build threads? Any tips or things to watch out for? Will 3/8" CDX make OK wall?

Planning to use only the 3/8" sheet with no insulation in the side walls of the galley so I can build it as it was originally (galley kitchen would not easily go back together with thicker insulated walls) but will possibly do the skeletonized insulation method on the wall between the galley and cabin. Seems I could use 1/8" sheet both sided of 1/2" skeletonized sheet for this?

Thanks for any input.
Dave K
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Want to build insulated walls using skeletonized (help)

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:50 am

I have posted this before !

http://www.huberwood.com/zipsystem/products/zip-system-rsheathing

R 6 AT 1 1/2 "

We just finished a building and I was allowed to pick thru the 3'x4' +/- scraps before the shop paid to toss them in the dumpster.
I grabbed about 80 of them.

I placed them on the floor of the house in a house to insulate from the cold concrete floors. The fiberglass face protects the face from furniture scuffs.
It would be easy to set a saw to just remove the fiberglass reinforced foam insulation and insert a 2x in the area where the foam was removed.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: Want to build insulated walls using skeletonized (help)

Postby tony.latham » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:06 am

Dave K wrote:Need to build insulated walls for my teardrop restoration. Thinking of using a outer sheet of 3/8" (don't have a choice on the 3/8" because that what it was originally built with) followed with a skeletonized sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" filling the skeletonized holes with foam. Then a sheet the inside with 1/8" on the inside walls. Does anyone have pictures of there build using this method? Any build threads? Any tips or things to watch out for? Will 3/8" CDX make OK wall?

Planning to use only the 3/8" sheet with no insulation in the side walls of the galley so I can build it as it was originally (galley kitchen would not easily go back together with thicker insulated walls) but will possibly do the skeletonized insulation method on the wall between the galley and cabin. Seems I could use 1/8" sheet both sided of 1/2" skeletonized sheet for this?

Thanks for any input.

How long is this ol' classic bug? 8'?

First of all, I'd shy away from 3/8" CDX. It has a lot of voids and my experience with the stuff is that it's glue starved. I think 3/8" ACX will have four plys versus three for the CDX, no voids and will give you the one good side for the interior of you galley.

Assuming your project is 8' long and you were planning on keeping the galley with it's origional 3/8" walls (Are you sure they aren't 1/2"?), it wouldn't be hard to have the cabin area sandwiched with the 3/8" exterior and a 1/2" skeletonized core and an 1/8" interior sheet. I'd built a 1/4" template first and cut all your pieces to within a 3/16" of an inch. That way you could clamp or scree them all together, screw the template on to the stack and clean them all up with the router. That sandwiched interior would make for a solid joint with your bulkheads.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques