Outer wood thickness

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Outer wood thickness

Postby Eulalia » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:22 pm

I'm in the process of attaching the outer layer to my trailer. The plywood that I got is 2.7mm meranti. I'm currently letting the glue set for a bit on the front radius so I thought I would get some input. Based on any of your previous builds, do you think I should do a double layer of the plywood or is one layer sufficient? I have enough material but I'm somewhat concerned about how well a second layer will laminate and stay. I'll be doing either filon or fiberglass resin and mat for the skin (I have someone experienced in fiberglass who will help if I can get to that point by month's end; they'll be gone for a few weeks after that).

I just don't want a rock or something blowing through the wall. Granted, I was crawling around on the roof and it held up, so maybe it's fine; these are the kind of questions that inevitably crop up when you're going 'by the seat of the pants' the whole time. This is all new ground here.
Never mind the maneuvers, always go straight at 'em. - Horatio Nelson
Eulalia
Donating Member

Re: Outer wood thickness

Postby kayakdlk » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:18 pm

I used 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood inside and out. On a 1x2 frame with 3/4 foam insulation between the sheets. I covered the entire outside with fiberglass cloth and epoxy and then painted with Monstaliner bedliner paint. I have never had a problem with rocks etc. poking holes. I had considered two layer of 1/8" pywood on the outside roof but once it is laminated together it is plenty strong. I had also considered adding thin diamond plate on the front for rock protection but it has held up so well I decide to leave it off to save weight. I think you will be fine with a single layer
Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques