Vinyl roof covering? Any thoughts?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Bucko6 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:17 am

Thanks all for your input. I purchased my vinyl yesterday. I found a supplier who had some surplus 72" wide green vinyl used for commercial awnings. This stuff seems quite rugged. The best part is it was only $8.00 per yard.

I have read discussion on this board about skinning the outside with one layer and/or 2 layers of 1/8 luan. I am going with the single layer of 1/8 luan, applied 3 coats of exterior varnish and am going to use contact cement to glue the vinyl to the top. I will get some pictures once it is all in place.

Thanks again for your input, suggestions, ideas and information! :thumbsup:
Bucko6
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SteveH » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:30 pm

Don't know for shure, but I think I'd do a test on a scrap to make shure the contack cement is compatable with the varnish....it might have a tendency to lift the varnish. Bad deal if it does.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bucko6 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:31 pm

Great suggestion on the possible problem between the contact cement and the varnish. Reading the can, there is also a potential problem with contact cement eating the vinyl too. There are some solvent free contact cements out there or possibly vinyl floor adhesive might work. I am going to the local trim shop and see what adhesive they use when attaching vinly tops to car roof's. If there was a reachtion, I could have had a disaster on my hands. Thanks! :?
Bucko6
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:37 pm

a lotta folks here have been using an outdoor carpet adhesevive to attach their aluminum...I be it would work wonders in your application...look for Herny's 663 or an equivalent product...they are latex rubber based and would not affect the vinyl
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby dwgriff1 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:55 pm

If you want to attatch fabric to wood, with or without varnish or lacquer, use water base contact cement. Roll it on thin and let it dry thoroughly. When it is dry put it in place carefull -- it is CONTACT cement.

I'd put heavy paper over the whole surface with a long seam in the center. With the fabric stretched out, I'd start pulling the paper out and attatching the fabric carefully.

The new water base does not grab as bad or as fast as the old solvent base (don't use solvent base for a lot of reasons). You could scoot it around a little, but be real careful, if it sticks down it might be real hard to get it up.

Once it is in place roll the heck out of it with a J roller.

It is possible that you will have to recoat the back of the fabric, if it has a heavy weave.

Test that one.

Tests never hurt anything, really.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:15 am

I did a little research last year before I glued the headliner (that mysteriously got pulled down) in my 18 year old daughters 87 Corolla . There are glues especially made for vinyl tops and headliners. I think they are water based, do not grab quit so quickly, and are probably like the water based adhesives dwgriff1 mentioned.

In my case, I could have used Elmers. She cracked that poor old Toyota up not 2 months after I went through that thing and detailed it out. On the bright side, she wasn't hurt, and assures me that she has matured at the ripe old age of 19. :cry:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:02 pm

Are you still around Buck? I see in your gallery that you have the vinyl on. I was wondering how you ended you attaching it and how well is it holding up?

Thanks,
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

vinyl

Postby KA » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:03 pm

Hi,
I'm still considering using marine duck canvas on my teardrop. If it is good enough for old wooden boat tops it should work on a teardrop, too.
I think I saw one on eBay a year or so ago that was done this way.
Kris :thinking:
KA
Donating Member

Postby JIML1943 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:55 am

If your looking at vinyl take a look at this. think someone else used it can't remember who it was.
http://yourautotrim-store.stores.yahoo.net/dipltoma.html

:thumbsup:
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiminsav » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:45 am

Chip used that PVC stuff on his first tear,,he glued it down and away he went...seemed to work for him.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:38 am

Actually , a good paint job holds up well !!! :D and is quick and reasonable ....
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby sid » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:39 am

Just a response to the first part of this thread.

DO NOT USE POLYMAX..... IT HAS BEEN TRIED

The thermal expansion properties will drive you crazy. It comes alive with bubbles and veins when it gets warm. I applied it in the wintertime and now that hot weather is here, it doesn't lay too flat.

:cheerswine:
sid n side
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:21 pm

I was going to use Henry's 663 to put on my "diamond plate" material. It WOULD NOT DRY when the tonneau material was glued to the foam. Even after letting it set for a day, I could still pull the two pieces apart and the glue was still wet. I don't know if the two pieces wouldn't let the solvents out or what but what I tried to use it for, it didn't work. It did, however work GREAT for applying the carpeting to the inside walls.

Experiment, experiment, experiment before you start in on the tear. If anyone has an idea on why the glue didn't dry, please let me know. I'm curious.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:35 pm

Jeff, a couple of thoughts on the Henry's...it is primarily designed for applying outdoor carpet to a wooden deck...which gives it much more air exposure for setting up...MUCH more than applying it to Al and other non-breatable surfaces...also, many have stated in using it to apply Al on their trailers that it took anywhere from a few days to a week to setup properly....just a thought or two.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby WarPony » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:41 pm

madjack wrote:...it is primarily designed for applying outdoor carpet to a wooden deck...which gives it much more air exposure for setting up.. it took anywhere from a few days to a week to setup properly....

Yeah, I figured because it was being used for carpeting that it would set up quicker. I didn't have a week to let it set up so I went with contact cement on the final product.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques