Vinyl roof covering? Any thoughts?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Volvord » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:31 pm

bdosborn wrote:Hmm, I wonder if caulk will stick? I was thinking of using this stuff on a future project but I'm having second thoughts. Can you make the corner where the side meets the top watertight?
Bruce

Nope, not even silicone or spray adhesive sticks to this stuff. If you were to use it you would be best to use a foam or rubber seal on the edges to make it watertight. Another factor with this product is it does expand and contract a fair amount, so provisions have to be made for that in the design.
Ian Image
Volvord
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:47 pm

I found this website for the polyboard( http://www.polyzone.com/ )...on the site, they talk about having to weld it and had nothing about adhesives anywhere on the site that I could find...on the FarmTek site they had moldings, which were insert type moldings for out/inside corners, bottom/top edges and edge/edge, these molding were made of PVC...another member emailed FarmTek and asked specifically about adhesives and they replied that there were none and that essentially nothing would stick to the stuff...while you could float the sheets,sealing the edges would definitely be a problem as would potential expansion/contracting problems
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:04 pm

Rats, and its so cheap. I wonder if RV tape with an outside corner would work to seal the sides and top. Just float everything.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:13 pm

BD...I thought about that too...if anything would work, that would. However you still have doors and such, not sure how well the tape would work there...at the price, a sealing solution sure would be nice...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby goldcoop » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:24 pm

Hey all-

Check out 3M's VHB tapes! They have tapes for all kinds of applications, even joining plastics!

Go to links & then sources of supply...

Maybe? What do ya think?

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Volvord » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:17 am

I have tried the 3M permanent 2 sided tape for exterior surfaces, this is the same tape used to hold car external trim panels on and supose to be their strongest adhesive tape. It would peel off the polybard just like the release paper that backed the tape on the roll. I asked the plastic wholesaler I deal with if there is any adhesive or solvents that would work (this would be commercial products not available to the general public) and the response was no. The only methods of fastening this stuff is either mechanical (screws, bolts or rivets) or plastic welding using hot air

If only we could figure put how they get teflon to stick to the pan :lol:
Ian Image
Volvord
Teardrop Builder

Postby larryl » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:55 am

Hmm, I wonder if caulk will stick? I was thinking of using this stuff on a future project but I'm having second thoughts. Can you make the corner where the side meets the top watertight? "
Bruce

Why not use flashing Tape. This is the way some codes require windows to be flashed. We recommend it on the perimeter of our vinyl clad (PVC) windows and it sticks just fine. I applied flasing tape to all corners of my aluminum clad Cubby. Screwed the outside aluminum trim over the tape and then trimed the tape flush with the trim.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:18 pm

Don't know if it will work, but any time I have to glue something that "normal" glue won't stick to, I use Goop. Works good and I have not found anything it will not stick to, except some plastics which it melts!
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ron Shaw » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:19 pm

"GOOP" :? Surely you don't mean the stuff in the can that you wash your hands with...
What other kind of Goop is there?
I am interested in using this PolyMax stuff if I can figure out a way to seal it around the roof, and doors, not to mention the windows or the vent fan...
Ron Shaw
Teardrop Dreamer
Ron Shaw
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:38 pm

GOOP...I believe it is the same folks...they make an outstanding line of adhesives...the marine GOOP claims it will glue up anything that it doesn't melt first....
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby DestinDave » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:00 pm

What about PVC board? It comes in 1/8 and higher thicknesses and can be glued together like PVC plumbing. Sign companies use it for exterior sign material. It's also used in the marine industry for making waterproof panels etc. Obviously vinyl sign lettering sticks to it but I don't know what else may or may not stick to it. Sounds like it'd make a good waterproof skin.
Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby Ira » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:43 am

Okay--I didn't have senior moment and suddenly remember the name of this stuff. I found the literature amidst a tonof crap in my truck:

http://durabak.com/

It's worth requesting a free sample so you can see exactly what the stuff is. EXTREMELY durable--or so they say.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby dwgriff1 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:54 pm

I once built a plywood cap for my old Ford pickup. It was the 70's, and I took a big hunk of orange naugahyde and contact glued it to the top of the cap.

It worked very well. When i didn't use the cap on the pickup, it sat in the weather for a number of years before it really got bad.

I would not hesitate to use it again, but I'd cover the top when I was not using it.

That cover might be one of those clever little garages I see, or even a good tarp. WIth that kind of teatment, I'd bet it would hold a long time.

If you rolled the glue on both the fabric and the wood, using one of the new water based contact cements, and then let it dry thorougly before putting it together, it would adhere very well,

But, when you wanted to take it off, I'd bet it would come off fairly easily.

Im still planning my tear, but I'd not rule out a fabric top.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Great thread!

Postby John T3 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:00 am

Buck,
I was planning to do exactly the same thing for my tear's roof! All the input is very helpful! Here's a link I found to a manufacturer that sells the tonneau fabric in 78" widths for $22 or so a linear yard: www.glfi.com/vinylbook_tonneaupage.htm
I wish you luck.
PS I'm a few months from this step, I think. I'll let you know how it goes.
John :thumbsup:
John T3
Teardrop Builder

Re: Great thread!

Postby dwgriff1 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:03 am

Here's a link I found to a manufacturer that sells the tonneau fabric in 78" widths for $22 or so a linear yard: www.glfi.com/vinylbook_tonneaupage.htm
I wish you luck.
PS I'm a few months from this step, I think. I'll let you know how it goes.
John :thumbsup:

John,

Thanks for the link. I run a tonneau cover on my truck. I like the look and the usefulness.

Haven't decided to put fabric on the top of my tear, but it is a viable option.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques