Sealing plywood under Aluminium

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Sealing plywood under Aluminium

Postby andy2 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:50 pm

Im at the stage of putting on the aluminium outer skin on the roof and im wondering if I should seal the plywood underneath first?

If so what with?
Thanks
Andy
andy2
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Sealing plywood under Aluminium

Postby tony.latham » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:41 pm

andy2 wrote:Im at the stage of putting on the aluminium outer skin on the roof and im wondering if I should seal the plywood underneath first?

If so what with?
Thanks
Andy

Andy:

Water is the bane of camp trailers. I had a Hunter commercial built teardrop for ten years. (I think Lil Guy bought them out and created their Silver Shadow line) It had water issues that I finally chased down and fixed.

I use Raka epoxy. Their thin resin. It soaks into the top 1/16" of plywood and plasticizes it. Some use several coats of poyurethane thinned down 50% with mineral spirits. I think they call it "the mix". Some builders don't seal under the aluminum. Obviously I don't fall in that camp. :frightened:

I just sealed my third hatch today. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dmdc411 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:26 pm

I used up all my left over varnishes, thinned with mineral spirits. Yah the mix as its known. Then another coat of unique thinned, and a 3rd coat on the corners and around openings. Then I for the most part float my aluminum skins. They have sealer on laps joints, under all corner strips, and the rear hatch hurricane hinge. Otherwise the skins just "floats" as they say. Still haven't hit it with water yet!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby dmdc411 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:29 pm

Auto correct! It's supposed to say unthinned varnish. Not unique varnish. Haven't figured out all this smart phone yet!!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby andy2 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:43 am

thanks, I went for the left over vanish option to!!
andy2
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Sat May 02, 2015 1:26 pm

There are some nice photos by bohemian of the old aluminum-skinned trailer he bought, which shows that aluminum is good for allowing water damage to spread un-noticed until the trailer suffers badly.

Not being able to see water damage is not better, indeed is probably worse, than seeing it and the idea that aluminum prevents water damage is very dangerous.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques