Using 1/4 plywood outside. Reading to much lost

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Using 1/4 plywood outside. Reading to much lost

Postby dogscats » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:51 pm

I am planing to do the wander http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear59.htm I read so much I don't know what to do .So if you be so help full . The plywood will not support anything . The outside fiberglass shell dose all the support .I believe adding fiberglass to the wood will add to much .Any help on just using stain cpr Any help . Thank you I have done a search just over whelmed .This is the last thing I need to work out.
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Re: Using 1/4 plywood outside. Reading to much lost

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:06 pm

I am not quite sure what your question(s) is, but I think you are wondering why use the plywood? 1/4" is fine if doing a laminated wall structure. The epoxy goes over the ply to make it waterproof and tough. You can also make the ply very water resistant by using the polyurethane "mix" system - start with 75% mineral spirits:25% poly, then 50:50, then 25:75 and finally going to full strength poly. Most people also put polyurethane over their epoxy to act as a UV inhibitor layer. With all that said, you might want to consider doing the "poor man's fiberglass", using canvas/titebond2/paint. It is tough has hell, costs way less, is easy to do. It has also been around for hundreds of years (well not using titebond) for the decks of boats.

If you are looking at wanting to pull a trailer with an electric car you have to be very careful with both weight and windage. The bigger the trailer, the more resistance you will have. You could build a 500# trailer, but if it has a 6' high, flat face and back, then you are going to severely tax the little car.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby dogscats » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:25 pm

Thank you Dave.The plans call for 1/4'' I am build two trailers. Reading you post help .I just got over whelm with all the reading . I going to order some over sides vacuum bags. If your mix dose not melt the bag will give it a try thank you for the fast response. I try the glue foam on 24'' of the fiberglass. It would not hold to the outer fiberglass frame The wood on your trailer look great
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:03 am

You really do not need to do vacuum bagging on any of the methods. It can create a nice finish (if done correctly and with lots of experience) and does really well when laminating layers, but isn't needed if just doing a coating.

Are you considering having the plywood grain show or do you intend to paint it? If painting, then any of the three methods (epoxy, polyurethane or canvas/paint) work well. Actually I'd put polyurethane at the lowest level of water resistance. If wanting the grain to show, then with epoxy you will still need to cover it with polyurethane to act as a UV barrier. Straight polyurethane works, but you'll need to rework every year or two. No method is perfect.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby dogscats » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Again Thank you Dave. I am going to try for the wood look on the wander .I though the vacuum bag would get the first coat deeper in to the wood. On the sport trailer . Up in the air. TFS. dose A infusion cap piece that can be used to get the look of a rolling side. It is A little high in price. Have ask if they sell there cutoffs at a better deal. I will have to see how much I can get and work it in to the sides [img]131190[/img]
Thank you
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby angib » Sat May 02, 2015 1:46 pm

The plywood will support more than any fiberglass skin will, providing it has proper framing as shown in the plans. Sure, on its own, 1/4" ply won't hold itself up - that's why it needs framing. A thin fiberglass skin adds very little extra strength - this is not sandwich construction.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby dogscats » Mon May 04, 2015 11:09 am

With out you Mr Angib this would never stand a chance . I should have been more detail . It is the fiberglass molding on the frame of the shell that will be doing the supporting. I am hopeful that I will not have to use fiberglass on the wood .Thank you.
dogscats
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques