PVC Roofing.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

PVC Roofing.

Postby Kaz » Sun May 03, 2015 6:46 pm

So thanks to CL I scored a piece of pvc roofing for my build. Like the challenges I have met trying to find products readily available to the average Joe on the east coast is a nightmare. Can I just use contact cement or do I have to use special glue? Can any one tell me where to get the stuff I need.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Re: PVC Roofing.

Postby Delta99 » Fri May 08, 2015 7:04 am

PVC is going to deteriorate very quickly.
Delta99
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 08, 2015 7:27 am

Delta99 wrote:PVC is going to deteriorate very quickly.

Not according to a two year test...

What effect does ultraviolet exposure have on PVC pipe?

A: In order to accurately quantify the effects of UV radiation on PVC pipe, Uni-Bell members conducted a two-year study in the late 1970s at various outdoor locations in the United States and Canada. In this study, PVC pipe samples were placed on horizontal exposure racks and placed so that they received continual exposure to the sun. At various points throughout the study, tests to evaluate mechanical properties were performed on the portion of the pipes that received the maximum UV exposure.

The results of the study (published as UNI-TR-5, "The Effects of Ultraviolet Aging on PVC Pipe") indicate a gradual decline in the pipe's impact strength. The lowest impact strength recorded after two years of exposure was 158 ft-lbf, or 75% of the original ASTM value. Even this reduced value exceeds those of most alternative sewer pipe products. These results indicate that no unusual handling problems should be expected from PVC pipe even after long-term exposure to sunlight.

The study results also show that Modulus of Elasticity and Tensile Strength were virtually unaffected. The fact that these properties are unaffected signifies that structural integrity and pressure capacity remain unchanged. UV degradation does not continue after installation when exposure to UV radiation is terminated.

The presence of an opaque surface between the sun and the pipe prevents UV degradation, since UV radiation will not penetrate thin shields such as paint coatings or wrappings.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 08, 2015 7:37 am

Kaz wrote:So thanks to CL I scored a piece of pvc roofing for my build. Like the challenges I have met trying to find products readily available to the average Joe on the east coast is a nightmare. Can I just use contact cement or do I have to use special glue? Can any one tell me where to get the stuff I need.

Gluing the sheet to a sub strata with a different expansion and contraction rate might create a problem with "oil canning" I have completely sheathed 2 trailers with crane plastics sequential panel. I drilled an oversize hole and used 100 % silicone as a sealer under the sheet and again under the rosettes that I used to fasten the sheet down. The material moves a bit and the silicone has enough elasticity to allow it. never a leak never a problem. My door trim and clearance lights help to keep the material trapped to the sub strata but still somewhat oversized and floating with the silicone seal. For what it's worth it worked for me.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby H.A. » Sun May 10, 2015 6:05 pm

Kaz wrote:So thanks to CL I scored a piece of pvc roofing for my build. Like the challenges I have met trying to find products readily available to the average Joe on the east coast is a nightmare. Can I just use contact cement or do I have to use special glue? Can any one tell me where to get the stuff I need.

Of course the manufacturers specified adhesive should be used...

Barring that, Look at what the various manufacturers suggest for their PVC or TPO roofing.
If you have a choice, I suggest water base acrylic adhesive over a solvent type. Acrylic generally gives more working time to get it laid smooth.
You did right with PVC. It will stay clean easier.

Btw, there are roofing suppliers who do small orders on-line...
H.A.
The 300 Club

Roof ON!

Postby Kaz » Sun May 10, 2015 6:27 pm

This what I've got for this summer.131544 :NC
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques