Rubber roof vs filon roof

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Rubber roof vs filon roof

Postby kitecop » Fri May 08, 2015 2:39 am

I am starting to lean towards a rubber roof vs the filon roof i planned on. Mostly because i will have to buy a lot of filon for my roof that i wont need (i will have a lot left over) because of the dimensions its sold in. I can get enough 60 rubber roof for about $100 shipped. Any issues w rubber roofs?

I would still be using filon on the sides.
kitecop
Teardrop Builder

Re: Rubber roof vs filon roof

Postby H.A. » Sun May 10, 2015 6:20 pm

Rubber works great. Tou might consider TPO or PVC roof. Its much easier to clean.
Also damages can be welded, rubber you are stuck with glued uglier patches.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby kitecop » Sun May 10, 2015 8:42 pm

H.A. wrote:Rubber works great. Tou might consider TPO or PVC roof. Its much easier to clean.
Also damages can be welded, rubber you are stuck with glued uglier patches.

Are those still cheaper than filon? And will the pvc hold up to UV? Im in FL and it will be stored outside.
kitecop
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon May 11, 2015 5:54 am

The roof on our tear is Filon and for one reason (if not others) I was able to attach the plastic solar panel mounts using 3M VHB tape with out drilling holes.
I was also able to install Kedar rail to support tarps with out drilling holes using VHB tape.
Life expectancy is also much longer.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby kitecop » Tue May 12, 2015 2:41 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:The roof on our tear is Filon and for one reason (if not others) I was able to attach the plastic solar panel mounts using 3M VHB tape with out drilling holes.
I was also able to install Kedar rail to support tarps with out drilling holes using VHB tape.
Life expectancy is also much longer.

I think the extra $ to go filon w be well worth the saved time and reduced maint., ill go w that.
kitecop
Teardrop Builder

Postby 48Rob » Mon May 18, 2015 7:10 am

I think the extra $ to go filon w be well worth the saved time and reduced maint., ill go w that.

A good long term choice!

Rubber is all the rave these days...but only lasts 8-10 years in general, and when it starts leaking, if you don't notice it right away, much damage to your trailer is the result.
The "rubber roofs are the best thing since sliced bread" bit was started and continues by the RV industry who chose it because it is cheap $

There are builders who swear by it, and for them it is good.
As for the thousands of 10 to 15 year old used RV's out there with water damage because of failed rubber roofs, it isn't such a great thing.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 18, 2015 8:42 am

And you let me recycle a 12 year old roof and put it on my caboose. :cry:

Seriously any treatments to help with the longevity. Silicone oil , rubber protectant ect. ?????
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon May 18, 2015 8:58 am

Bob,

You used a very heavy duty black liner material, not the typical RV roof material.

Yes, for RV roof rubber, they make a coating that will help extend the life of the rubber.
For the material you used, you should check with the manufacturer.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby len19070 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:59 am

Rob is absolutely correct in what he says about RV EPDM Rubber roofing. Folks have been sold a bill of goods about this RV product.

But! EPDM is not only made for RV's. It is also used Commercially on buildings and is much thicker, more durable and is available locally to most at a MUCH cheaper price.

RV EPDM is 20mills thick where as Commercial grade is 60 to 80 mills.

Any "GOOD" Roofing Supply, not a Home Depot of Lowes has or can get it and not just in Black (white & Beige). The smallest roll I ever bought was 25' long. Now I know that's way more than anyone building a Tear would need but I use that much.

Before I started buying large quantity's I would go into a Supply Yard armed with a dozen donuts. Asked if they had any small pieces or knew of a contractor who might and gave them the donuts. I never came away empty handed.

The small pieces that we need are to small for them to do anything with and are basically scrap.

There's a saying among EPDM Roof contractors. Every one of them has a Fish Pond!

Just another option.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby H.A. » Mon May 18, 2015 10:57 am

Being the RV world is awash of cheap-o crap sold to clueless rubes,
I guess its no surprise RV grade roofing would follow suit.

EPDM TPO, et.al. Would not exist in commercial roofing trade if it lasted mere 8-10 years.
Further on a teardrop, its a daily thing to see condition of ones roof.

There are on line vendors who sell commercial roofing supplies.
They just unroll how much one wants to buy selling by linear foot.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby BigRedHiker » Fri May 29, 2015 3:42 am

Tried the TPO roofing and wasent pleased. Its used by alot of the big RVs these days as the sheet size allows for a seamless install that wraps over the side walls.
Its cheaper than fiberglass and there are several sources for TPO or EPDM each with different qualities. It cuts like butter which scares me even though its repairable. On a tall RV its not as visible as on a teardrop and I hated that it showed every bit of dirt and was needing constant cleaning. Plus you cant get petroleum based products anywhere near it including the better RV sealant caulks.
I ended up going with Flex roof. Its a .040 fiberglass sheet that can bend easil;y into a 2" radius. Its made by Crane Industries and a new addition to regain the market share from rubber roofing as it can be bent over the roof edge as well. They are working on one that will bend to a 1" radius..but its not available yet.
I love the fiberglass even though it was costly.
BigRedHiker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 29, 2015 6:10 am

Crane Huh !

That's the folks that made the sequential exterior panel that I have on 2 of my trailers :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby BigRedHiker » Fri May 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Crane makes Filon and other fiberglass panels.
BigRedHiker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby iristhomas1299 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:39 am

Overview, TPO vs Fiberglass RV roofs have many differences such as material, durability, design, and cost,...But both of them are good for RV. Each one has its own benefits, so you can refer and the best one for you.
iristhomas1299
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:11 am

iristhomas1299 wrote:Overview, TPO vs Fiberglass RV roofs have many differences such as material, durability, design, and cost,...But both of them are good for RV. Each one has its own benefits, so you can refer and the best one for you.

Do you have a photo of how your camper is holding up? What system does it have?

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques