Foam Insulation for Walls

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Foam Insulation for Walls

Postby SteveE » Sun May 17, 2015 2:12 pm

I'm building skeleton walls with foam insulation.

I'm here is So California and I cannot find the pink ridged foam in 3/4" thick. I find the white Styrofoam type of insulation but it does not seem too rigid. I can squish it between my fingers. Is there anybody here in so California that has found a source? I want to use the same foam in my floor as well.

Steve
SteveE
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Foam Insulation for Walls

Postby tony.latham » Sun May 17, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm building skeleton walls with foam insulation.

Steve:

It's my opinion, that for skeletonized walls, the styrofoam is fine (if that's all you can find). I insulate the hatch and ceiling with the hard stuff –either pink or blue– since it's sheathed on both sides with 1/8" Baltic Birch and needs it's additional structural integrity. Not so much in the walls.

Tony :beer:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dogscats » Mon May 18, 2015 11:35 am

Here in the Stockton Calif. The two box stores have the foam siding .About 20 for the 1''
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby SteveE » Mon May 18, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks guys.

I found it in a 1/2" thickness and i will just glue it together and hot wire it to the final thickness.
What glue are you guys using to bond it together and also bonding to the plywood walls and floors?

Steve
SteveE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dogscats » Mon May 18, 2015 1:08 pm

You do not have to use the pink The big box stores Home depo, lowes Have ridged foam 3/4'' 1'' 1.5'' 2'' By 4x8 it's brown It ' call foam siding .A roofing supply will have it too http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rmax-Thermasheath-3-R-6-1-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Polyiso-Rigid-Foam-Insulation-Board-787264/100549260
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby woodywrkng » Mon May 18, 2015 1:15 pm

Since the foam board is sandwiched inside, and really doesn't contribute any strength, I don't see a reason for any glue. If you really want to though, how about using whatever extra caulk you have laying around as an adhesive. For the wood to wood parts, Tightbond III or the Elmers equivalent I reckon.
woodywrkng
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tabitha » Wed May 20, 2015 1:26 am

Home Depot has the pink insulation you're looking for.
Someday, we will learn to take living in stride. Sometime, we will learn to pay less attention to the imagined and stop fussing about things we had nothing to do with in the past - and cannot change significantly in the future. Very soon, we will sit together in the sun a whole day and just be happy that we can sit together in the sun all day and just be happy.
___ Cherokee Author Unknown
Tabitha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SteveE » Wed May 20, 2015 9:31 am

In my area they only stock the 2" and the 1/2" thickness i even called them to see of they could bring it in from another store in the 3/4" and they did not have it in so cal. I guess I will either hot wire cut the material i can find or use the white Styrofoam board. They do stock the white stuff in 3/4" and like the above post said, it should be fine for the floor and walls.

Steve
SteveE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dogscats » Wed May 20, 2015 12:38 pm

Try a roofing suppler That where we get it for walk in coolers
dogscats
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques