trolley top windows

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

trolley top windows

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu May 21, 2015 12:10 pm

I have to start over with the window coverings for my trolley top cut out windows.
I was looking a how they do them on ships and came up with this idea of a swing open window with a T-bar hatch fastener.
1. trace out the cut window onto a pc of wood so I can make frames for the outside to hold screening on.
2. cut square pc of wood for the inside. one small one attached to the trolley wood and hold the hinge.
2a. cut out wood to frame around the plexi glass or glass. We will call that the hatch. like in picture 4
2b. connect the t-bar catch to the hatch and the screw to the wall of the trolley. seen in picture 2
3. a gasket will be cut to go around the inside wall and will be on the edge of the window opening. The glass would press against the seal keeping water out.

I will need to make 6 of these.

on of the 6 windows.
2 types of T-bar hatch fasteners Which I might be able to make myself $27 each
what they use on the trolley tops of trailers out of the 30's and 40's
type of hatch I am thinking of only in miniature and swinging left to right.

Boat shops and boat catalogs have many answers to things with parts you just can not find anywhere else. :thumbsup:

any thoughts :scratchthinking:
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: trolley top windows

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri May 22, 2015 11:32 am

I am thinking I can make the T-Bar mostly out of wood and just have the bolt with the wing nut.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques