Door shape/size/look question...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Door shape/size/look question...

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:11 am

TimC wrote:Kitecop, that is not in the cards. Already blew my budget on trailer. Maybe I shoulda gotten that N Tool flatbed after all. So far I am up to around $1100 on the trailer build alone and still need to find a spare wheel/tire. I'm now estimating total cost of around $2500. Now I know that doesn't sound like much to some, but, I am retired on a fixed income, so... living within my means is #1.

I am contemplating building my own window for my diy plywood door. I'm a bit of a DIYer anyway and I've done some research on building single hung and double hung windows. I'll research a bit more then decide if it is worth it compared to the $60 windows at VinTech. Currently I don't like the look of their awning window with my design.

I got my door on eBay for 60. It is insulated but does not have a window. Search rv compartment access does and you should find them. My budget didn't allow for 300+ for a door so when I found the compartment hatch door for 60 I was very happy. It measures 27 wide by 29 tall. Only about 3 inches shorter than a 300+ door.
I have no problems getting in and out.
I am on my mobile or I would rustle up a link for ya.
Neil
Edit:
On my PC now and found the link to the door I got.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311218634515?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Re: Door shape/size/look question...

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Be informed that most cargo doors will need to have inside latch handles adapted in some way, as they were not originally intended to be used as an exit, plus if you want them to lock from the inside, I expect that you would have to add a separate deadbolt or hook.

It all depends on how refined you want your finished project to be and how crafty you are at fabricating/installing these types of mods. So if you have little skills or time but money, OEM doors look pretty good. If you want something in between, then maybe getting the less expensive cargo doors to work is a way to go. But if you want a certain look, say to match the cabin skin or a custom shape, and you have the time, skills and tools that are needed to pull it off; or you just like the idea of making your own, then go to the extra effort and make them. They don't have to be fancy, they just have to seal, or you might be sleeping on a wet bed.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques