Hurricane Hinge Leaks!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Hurricane Hinge Leaks!

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:52 am

I used Art's smart and simple solution of duct tape over the top of the hinge. I used 5 layers. First I used two strips that overlapped at the hinge. Next I used two more strips of tape gront and back because I didn't think there was enough tape area on the trailer and hatch. One more over the top of the hinge. It doesn't look as bad as it sounds and this is high quality tape so should hold up well. I opened the hatch and everything appears to work well.

Tip... Leave the ends a little longer and do a final end cut with scissors. I cut each strip of tape to length and the end looks a bit shabby because they are all a little off.

Thanks for all the help guys,
Tom in Columbus
Columbus, Ohio
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:11 am

From my understanding of your explanation of when your hatch is open, there is a near vertical section of the hatch at the hurricane hinge and from this near vertical section your hatch extends back parallel to the ground. Is this is the case? Does rainwater run directly to the back/aft side of the hinge?

If so, I don't think the hurricane hinge is the "right tool for the job". The back side of the hinge is not designed to stop water flow.

Assuming this is the case, I would leave the hinge as is and add a rain gutter made out of lightweight aluminum channel about 1" aft of the hinge. This gutter would be open on both ends and would direct rainwater to the edges of your hatch and away from the hinge.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:15 am

IMG_20150708_111308.jpg
IMG_20150708_111308.jpg (123.57 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

Tom, good idea and good first name! :-) I do have a rain gutter made from aluminum siding J-channel over my doors. It works great. The hatch is as you described. I thought about using the J-channel over the hinge but when the hatch is down the gutter would build up water in a puddle between it and the hinge. I figured this could lead to a larger leak when the hatch is down.

Tom
Columbus, Ohio
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 am

Tomterrific wrote:The photo does look backwards but the hinge is installed properly. The hinge is on a flat surface parallel to the ground. The open side is to the rear, closed side front.

I believe my best, possibly only alternative is a strip of rubber over the hinge, something I falsely believed the hurricane hinge would eliminate. I have the square back hatch cantilevered one foot. When the hatch is lifted it makes a roof one foot above the trailer. I can stand under this easily. With curtains/walls, this makes a nice area to change clothes. The back of the trailer is entirely open with a raised hatch so a motorcycle will fit inside.

Some crazy or clever ideas, you be the judge.

Heavy oil dribbled into the open side when the hatch is up. May eventually run out and fail. Horrible mess.

Hot wax melted into hinge. This does seem like it could work as the wax would fill the vacant area inside the hinge. Would the wax melt in the hot sun?

A grease nipple on one or both sides of the hinge. Once filled with grease water can't get through. Easy to wipe excess after filling. Easy to refill.

A rain fly! Merely a single sheet of cloth running from the open hatch over the trailer. A widthwise pocket sewn in the fly would fit over the bottom of the hatch, then pull the fly over to the front and tie it to the tongue. I like this! Not entirely my idea but very nice. I see a simple rain fly in my future.

Tom

Grease or oil is going to make a big mess and probably isn't going to solve your problem. I'd think that Grant's solution of a strip of rubber D-shaped seal on the rear of the hinge would help immensly, if not solve it complety.

Can you take a photo of your hatch in the open position? In close to the hinge and back off a few feet.

T

p.s. I just saw the photo of your open hatch. I'd still try the rubber seal on the rear of the hinge. It'd deflect any running water.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:33 am

I used duct tape over the hinge to seal it. I'm leaving tommorow to camp for four days. Rain, heavy at times, is expected so I needed a solution quick!
Columbus, Ohio
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Tomterrific wrote:I used duct tape over the hinge to seal it. I'm leaving tommorow to camp for four days. Rain, heavy at times, is expected so I needed a solution quick!

We're (Idaho) in the middle of our fire seaon. I'm still having a hard time relating to water. Enjoy your trip!

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:56 pm

I have the same hinge as shown in your last pic. It leaks right through the middle,... simple fact. My answer was duct tape and tarp while being stored or stored in a garage. While out camping, nothing that can't be worked around. Nothing you did wrong. It's just that this style of hurricane Hinge just isn't what it's hipped up to be. End of discussion. Sorry to hear that you're having problems. If it's any consolation, you aren't alone.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby terrymorse » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:53 am

A google search brought me here, this place is a great resource.

My teardrop's rear hatch leaks at the hurricane hinge, but only when the hatch is open. It looks like the water runs off the hatch towards the hinge. And it's not a tiny leak--it's a gusher.

I'm going to try the method mentioned above, as shown in this image:

I'm using the Taco Marine weather seal.

Fingers crossed.
terrymorse
Teardrop Inspector

Postby troubleScottie » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:00 pm

Given the picture,

The left side of the hinge is a complete seal, one continuous piece of metal. As such it cannot leak. The only water inlet on the left side is the screw holes. A new hinge would likely have a 1 inch or so rubber strip fitting into that small channel on the left to prevent water reaching the screws.

The right side is a continuous piece to the hinge. The hinge is that metal piece crossing the center of the rest of the hinge. It is supposed to block the water and redirect out the ends of the hinge. That is the reason hinge extends over the edge of the trailer.

So why is it not doing that and you are getting a flood?

To me (not an expert), the hinge looks flattened. If it is not almost circular, so that center piece will not offer any barrier to water. The rounded edge at the inner most side could have broke or corroded. It appears you could side the hinge apart and examine it.

A rubber tube running the length of the hinge might help
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:06 pm

The right side is a continuous piece to the hinge.

If you raise your hatch and put a garden hose up there, it'll leak like a river. His fix with the D-seal works fine.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:03 am

The inherent design of the hurricane hinge is essentially a labyrinth seal. It relies on the tortuous path to prevent water from working its way around all of the curved intermeshing shapes of the extrusion, not intimate contact or a soft seal. So depending on the installation (hatch surface angle when raised, included angle of hinge, amount of water, etc.) it can't always get the job done as designed. Just saying.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby terrymorse » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:47 am

terrymorse wrote:A google search brought me here, this place is a great resource.

My teardrop's rear hatch leaks at the hurricane hinge, but only when the hatch is open. It looks like the water runs off the hatch towards the hinge. And it's not a tiny leak--it's a gusher.

I'm going to try the method mentioned above, as shown in this image:

I'm using the Taco Marine weather seal.

Fingers crossed.

Update: The weather stripping method works! It's holding water out in both the closed and fully open positions.

The only trick was getting a smooth and flat surface to place the stripping onto. I removed the factory-installed hex head screws, counter sunk the holes, installed #10 stainless flat head screws, and sealed them with black roof flashing caulk.

Attachments
IMG_2903.jpeg
IMG_2903.jpeg (1000.71 KiB) Viewed 229 times
terrymorse
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques