First time build

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

First time build

Postby ToadSprockett » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:13 pm

We are buying the HF superduty trailer tomorrow, once I have it built and repack the bearings, the real work begins :D

I've read pros and cons to flipping the axle, so I still need to research that, lower would give us more height which is good because we are both tall! I also need to consider if I want to move the axle back a bit, the plan is to extend the frame with 2x4's machined down to match the frame to a total of 5x10, using construction adhesive and bolts. Put 1/4" ply on the bottom and seal it with epoxy paint (like they use on drift boats).

Once I'm past that, I was planning on putting some stringers in to beef up the gaps in the interior frame, fill it with insulation, and then use a 3/8 ply to lay the subfloor.

This is going to be a ton of fun and my wife and I are doing it together, I have extensive word working experience, so I'm not worried about that part, it's the things I've not played with before like laying out the subfloor that concern me. There's so much information here, it can get overwhelming...

Let the Madness begin!!!

:? :pictures: :beer: :shock: 8)

Thanks
-Paul-
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Re: First time build

Postby Graniterich » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:22 pm

I use the 1720# hf trailer, I can't seem to get past the weight resting on. the axle with the u clamps holding in position, vs hanging the trailer from the axle. All the weight on four u bolts? Let's talk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby ToadSprockett » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:34 pm

It seems they do not have it in stock, but it should be here soon...

As soon as it gets here I'll see how that part plays out, I need to sit and go over the axle setup to see what makes sense...
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby Yak » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:25 pm

Graniterich wrote:I use the 1720# hf trailer, I can't seem to get past the weight resting on. the axle with the u clamps holding in position, vs hanging the trailer from the axle. All the weight on four u bolts? Let's talk

There are thousands of trailers built both ways
Yak
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques