Installing aluminum next. Sides or roof first?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Installing aluminum next. Sides or roof first?

Postby Whuttitiz » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:41 am

We are about to receive our aluminum to skin our TD. One question we have is which to put on first...the sides or the roof panel? How to you hold the sides on before attaching with trim? Since we have read many posts saying to just "float" the aluminum over the luan to allow for the different material movement, we assume that the only thing holding the aliminum on the trailer is the edge/roof trim and the doors. We are using Frank Bear's doors on our build.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Denny and Linda
Whuttitiz
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Installing aluminum next. Sides or roof first?

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:34 pm

I put the top piece on first. I attached it to the front bottom with about four flathead stainless steel screws that are countersunk. Then I tighten the straps and monkey around until it's as square as it's going to get. Then I attached it to the hatch spar with three or four screws that are also countersunk. These will be under the hinge (make sure you don't put them where the hinge screws will be). The front ones will be covered with trim. (I'll route the fan hole in later....)

If you look in this photo, I've got 1 x 2's between the cabin and the dollie. I'll set the side piece on those. (I cut the side aluminum about a 1/4" proud). Once it's set on the boards, I can clamp it onto the door opeing and galley edge using spring clamps. I'll then place four countersunk FH screws around the door. (Take a look at your doors to see how close these need to be. Perhaps as close as 3/8".) Then I'll trim with a flush bit router. (Put some blue tape on your roof piece to protect it from the bearing. And some blue tape on the sides so your router base doesn't drag a piece of aluminum across it.)

Now you can start putting on your trim. I dry fit the it, remove it, and then add sealant and screw it back in place.

This next pic is of sheathng on my first drop. Of course I built on the chassis like most do... (I don't do it like that anymore). I put a couple of 6 penny finish nails about a half inch between the chassis and the cabin. One up front and one back by the hatch. After the aluminum is on, I pull the nails and stick a daub of sealant where they were. It works well.

I think I put more thought into my first aluminum sheathing job than perhaps any other step. Overkill thought on my part. It's a fairly simple task. :FNP

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Whuttitiz » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Thanks so much, Tony. Those are great suggestions and photos!
Whuttitiz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dale M. » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:53 am

Al lot will depend on your wall/roof joint... If you plan to extend roof material out over sides them bend it down to cap the top/side joint, then put on a side molding the sides have to go on first...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Retroguy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:08 am

So newbie question. When I build I won't be gluing the aluminum to the plywood? :oops:
Retroguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:43 pm

There's different ways to skin a...teardrop. :oops:

I did front and roof first, then the sides, and finally the hatch. I "floated" the aluminum. There is sealant along the edges and around openings only. I stapled the aluminum to hold it in place. (Staples were located only where trim or laps in the aluminum would cover the staples.)

Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby skinnedknuckles » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks also for the suggestions since I am about ready to skin my teardrop. :thumbsup:
Paul
skinnedknuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:25 pm

There's a whole forum on skinning, but you should take the time to read thru Tom's (aggie79's) Silver Beatle build. IMO he did a great job of documenting and was very thorough in his approach.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques