How many bolts to attach a floor on 4x8 trailer?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

How many bolts to attach a floor on 4x8 trailer?

Postby ukewarrior » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:46 pm

My daughter and I have started building a "Simple/Rimple" on a HF 4x8 trailer. (Build thread will be started soon)

I have 3/8" bolts which fit the existing holes nicely in the frame pieces for attaching the floor.

How many bolts is sufficient?

My current plan was to use two bolts per cross member (only one set in the middle) which is a total of 10 bolts.
These would have fender washers top and bottom to help distribute the load and a lock washer with the nut.
I also plan to use loctite.

I've seen lots of different techniques for mounting the floors, but not a discussion on how many bolts will do the job right.
The bolts are through a sandwich insulated floor, but the bolts themselves are through nothing but wood.

Thanks in advance for the advise and opinions.
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Re: How many bolts to attach a floor on 4x8 trailer?

Postby Jdw2717 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:43 pm

I used 20 on my 5x8 frame which was 4 per cross member. It was overkill but the thought of this thing coming apart on the interstate was too scary. I will say that I have 5 cross members running from front to back though.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:48 pm

The heavier your body, the more bolts you need in the floor. For my foamie I'm doing 3 on a side, and 2 in the middle, for a total of 8.

A 4x8 is probably going to be about 800 pounds, so maybe 4 or 5 on a side and 2 in the middle. And they have to be large enough to withstand a shear load. I'm thinking 5/16 or 3/8". Maybe Angib can help me out here...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dales133 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:03 am

Ive got 2 front,4 down each side and one in the middle at the rear..i plan on gluing it to the trailer with sikaflex prior to final boltage!
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby noseoil » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:49 am

Nucor's shear values for bolts, all grade 2 / hardware store type fasteners / value is per individual bolt in a single shear application:

1/4" = 2179#
5/16 = 3405#
3/8" = 4903#

If you have 10 - 5/16" bolts, you have a shear value of about 34,000 pounds in shear (just figure it's like scissors cutting each individual bolt, all at the same time). In other words, if these bolts shear due to an impact load or stress, you have other things to worry about than the bolts being weak.....
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:13 am

Remember that you trailer is connected to your vehicle via a single 1/2" or 5/8" hitch pin so there is no need to go overboard. Instead of bolts, I used trailer deck screws at 12 inches on center.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:32 am

What Tom said. I feel it is more important to have a spread of fasteners from front to rear in order to transfer the stiffness of the cabin into the trailer frame. You want them to act like one unit. I have sixteen (16) 3/8 in bolts, 4 at each xmbr.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:56 pm

I have the exact same trailer. I used 3/8 bolts with washers on both sides, drilled through my sub floor framing then used a spade bit to counter sink the bolts flush. In every pre drilled hole in the trailer long sides I put a bolt, plus one dead center on the front and rear, for a total of 10. I also made my floor an inch shorter than the trailer so the weight of my walls and roof are resting on the trailer and not the subfloor. I didn't use loctite on the nuts underneath, but they all got hit with undercoating when I sealed the bottom so I doubt they will work loose!
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby noseoil » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:26 am

I'm using nylon lock-nuts on my build for the bottom side. Figure it's a "one time" assembly, so I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing the nuts can't loosen over bumpy roads & highway miles. Black goo would also be a good way to go, or even paint once the nuts are in place, just so they stay put & can't come loose.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:51 am

Building submarines the specs for nylon insert self locking nuts was one shot use during new construction, but after delivery that got relaxed to five (5) uses (assembly/disassembly) provided that the nut could still not be turned by hand. For most non-nuke and less critical applications no one ever had any practical way of knowing how many times a nut had been assembled, so it defaulted to the hand turn test. If you could turn it by hand, get a new one; if not, okay to use again. Self locking bolts with the pellet insert or patch got renewed every time.

That's the rule of thumb that I use to this day. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby angib » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:09 pm

There's no need to go all he-man on things like bolt diameter and grade as they are attaching a wood structure so will just pull out of the wood if loaded to the point where grade or diameter mattered.

The bodies of most fiberglass trailers like Scamps and Bolers are held to the frame with six to eight self-tapping screws and you never hear of one of those bodies detaching from its frame (excluding ones that have been rolled or crashed). And those are now rusty self-tapping screws on 30-year-old trailers, and still they don't fail.

As I have suggested before four to eight big lumps of well-chewed chewing gum would probably hold most bodies on - and lets not get into a discussion about how long it has to have been chewed.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby ukewarrior » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Thank you for all the feedback.

I went with 10 bolts, 3/8" with locking washers and loctite.
All the bolts on my trailer have or will be getting the black goo or rustoleum paint.
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Re: How many bolts ...not many.. you're fine

Postby Franco Novo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:56 pm

You're good
I just did a quick build....HF folding frame
Just bolted the plywood directly to the frame with the 3/8" bolts with locking nuts that came with the kit

On the cross members I had to rip some 1/8" strips, because they sit a little below the side rails
Pretty sure I used 4 bolts down each side rail....3 in the middle 11 total

After years in the building trade, I've torn apart too many remodels where previous folks had like 50 nails in a 8' length of baseboard.
like where is it going to go..... :lol:

best,
Franco

less than a month later:
Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:15 am

My 6x13 foamie has four 5/16" bolts total, two in each end. Other than when I slam on the brakes as the tear is weightless over a bump, most of the time, friction does a better job of keeping things together, than the bolts.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:34 am

Friction is determined by the surface quality (coefficient of friction) and the force pushing the two surfaces together. The gravity and bolts apply the force. More bolts = more friction = less likely to slide off.

Sure, too many bolts is just overkill, but I like the idea of tying the rigidity of the cabin into the chassis to prevent relative movement (chaffing, slap, breaking of any sealant or welting that may be used) so I like to see at least a couple of bolts along the sides as well as at the ends.

I'm sure I am beating a dead horse here. :roll:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques