How many bolts to attach a floor on 4x8 trailer?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: How many bolts to attach a floor on 4x8 trailer?

Postby yrock87 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:07 am

noseoil wrote:I used 5/16" elevator bolts for my build, plus a couple of carriage bolts when I couldn't find long enough elevator bolts. It's way-overkill, but 3 per side on the frame & 3 more in the middle at different points. Elevator bolts have larger heads & a square shank, so it's like a washer counter-bored into the wood surface.

Grade 8 bolts are overkill, they're used where excessive forces are concentrated in the loads being carried. They are a much stronger alloy than common hardware store bolts, which are plenty strong enough anyway. The grade 8 alloy is rated at 150,00 psi!

I would use white oak if you're concerned about a good rot-resistant hardwood. Strong, tough & heavy, use it sparingly. I used red oak for my hatch spars, as I wanted the higher fiber strength of oak to hold fasteners for the hinges. Poplar is too soft. The lower deck framing is just poplar at the frame. Not too worried about the bolts pulling through. If that happens, we have other problems to deal with.

Thanks, white oak it is! Only gonna use it on the hinges and a piece at each of the three attachment points to the frame. My bolts will be attached to steel gussets on the frame, rather than through the tube steel. Will E using standard pine framing on top of the frame rails/crossbars, and will tie in the oak above the gussets.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Re: How many bolts to attach a floor on 4x8 trailer?

Postby greygoos » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:20 pm

Elevator bolts are primarily used for bolting conveyor belts and are almost always grade 3 which can shear easily. I would recommend using a grade 5 carriage bolt if you can deal with the rounded head or even better a plow bolt if unless specified is always grade 8. Either way you will use less of the carriage or plow bolts to secure the frame.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques