Unable to bolt the floor to the very front

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Unable to bolt the floor to the very front

Postby Dalorin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:27 pm

All,

I've come into an interesting situation on my build.

The trailer has five pieces of angle iron making up the cross members down the length of the trailer.

From the back to the front I fastened the floor down with three bolts in each cross member (one bolt in the center). However, on the final/front most cross member it is made up of two pieces of angle so that its like square stock. I would need six or seven inch bolts to go all the way through.

Additionally, for whatever reason the trailer has a slight slope between the last two members resulting in it sitting a quarter inch or so below the floor. So even if I do bolt the floor to that last cross member it will pull it out of level.

I thought about using a shim but now I'm starting to wonder if I should even mess with it. Is there any reason not to leave it unbolted? I already have twelve 3/8 bolts on nylock nuts and washers covering 80% of the floor. It's not going anywhere.

Thoughts?

All input is appreciated
Dalorin
Teardrop Master

Re: Unable to bolt the floor to the very front

Postby dales133 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Id shim it and bolt it i think.
If youd planned on bolting it before id stick with the plan.
Dosnt sound like it would be to dificult and unsupported if you left it
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:23 pm

A couple of ways is that you could do a drill through, with the bottom hole large enough for a socket to fit through, but upper hole the size of the bolt. You could then seal the bottom hole by welding a plate or not worrying about it. Another way would be to drill down through the top and depending on the thickness of the angle, simply tap the top part of the steel and use some locktite. Or, you could make a steel/aluminum wrap strap to go around the forward member and through bolt from floor to wrap. All those other bolts will keep it from lateral movement.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:55 pm

12 bolts sounds like enough. But if it's necessary, I would shim it, and use self taping bolts...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby pchast » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:03 pm

mikeschn wrote:12 bolts sounds like enough. But if it's necessary, I would shim it, and use self taping bolts...

Mike...

That would be my approach too. Use a drill first a hair thinner than the self tappers you intend to use and add
those shims.
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:16 pm

pchast wrote:
mikeschn wrote:12 bolts sounds like enough. But if it's necessary, I would shim it, and use self taping bolts...

Mike...

That would be my approach too. Use a drill first a hair thinner than the self tappers you intend to use and add
those shims.
:thinking:

... And put a good glob of sealer in the hole before you run the screw down.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:34 pm

I don't think the extra bolts will do anything to help at this point. If you already have 12 bolts in place, and the box is stiff due to side panels, roof & deck attachments, I think you'll be fine. Be flexible! 12 bolts is 58,000# of shear strength. Hopefully the build isn't over 25,000#, so your factor of safety is still 2:1....
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dalorin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:03 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1440363713214.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1440363713214.jpg (111.98 KiB) Viewed 870 times
uploadfromtaptalk1440363699849.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1440363699849.jpg (110.39 KiB) Viewed 870 times

All, thank you for your help. Attached is my final solution. I found six inch bolts and some spacers. I was able to attach the front while keeping the floor level.
Dalorin
Teardrop Master

Postby backstrap bandit » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:46 am

I really don't think it's necessary to bolt it like u said u have plenty in there now however the gap that u have should be shimmed because eventually it will sag just from moisture and weight being applied to floor but all that is needed is a little rite bond or liquid nail and the shims and you should be good did I mention I have only 6 bolts holding my build down 3 in front and 3 in back and it's good no need to over kill
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques