Sealant

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Sealant

Postby hpuckett4 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:25 pm

Hey guys, So I have my frame/floor built and the next step is to attach it to the frame. I used treated, exterior grade 2x4 and plywood without insulation. My question is what should I coat the bottom with that will endure the weather/ water coming up off the road. I am not covering it with aluminum on the outside, so If i can get sealant that I can use for the underside and exterior, bonus. What do you think?
hpuckett4
Teardrop Builder

Re: Sealant

Postby dales133 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Most people seem to use that black tar based waterproofing goop
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby booyah » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:16 pm

Asphalt paint

I got a gallon of Black Beauty fence post paint from tractor supply near my house
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... _vc=-10005

easiest stuff I could locate. three coats on the bottom of mine and I'm pretty comfortable with it.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:05 pm

What about using :

Vycor Plus 6 in. x 75 ft. Roll Fully-Adhered Flashing

or

Nashua Tape 6 in. x 75 ft. Select Window and Door Flashing Tape

A butyl based flashing tape. I saw it used in a video teardrop build ( Scott 2010 ?? ) I have used it around windows. Adheres well to wood/plywood (unfinished/unsealed??) No smell. Easy to handle. Nothing to stick to after applied. Follows contours well. High temperature range (20F - 180F). Obviously will work on house to temperatures below this. Designed for what you are trying to do -- seal out rain driven water and air-infiltration and mold. Overlapped properly (1 in or so), should be really quite a good seal.

May not be good enough for cold conditions.

Personally thinking this will work for my build ( off in the future. I have not built a teardrop using this yet. )
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques