Odd flooring question for standy

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Odd flooring question for standy

Postby CLChastain » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:03 am

One of the candidates "running" for the position of "trailer" in my future build is the trailer from a 1970 Aristocrat LoLiner I purchased a good while ago and hoped to restore. Why I didn't do that is a whole 'nother story, but the upshot is ... what I have left is this trailer with an enormous dropped section "amidships". I hated it and when I first decided to re-design and rebuild rather than restore, I tried to figure out what to do with this area.

Here are some ideas I had -- use the thing but with a trailer design that looked cool, like these "Euro trailers" inspired by the "Kip" by Knauss of Germany. Raise the floor inside and just bring the skin down to the frame on the outside to disguise the drop-frame's existence... And finally, just let the drop floor frame hang down unused...

It occurs to me now, if I use this trailer, could I level the drop-floor area inside, but use it for fresh and gray water tanks? They'd have to be very flat and wide and they'd be just forward of the axle, and I don't know how well water would drain at that level... I believe the drop is about 7 inches, and there would be even less room under there with floor framing and 3/4 inch plywood above.

Here are pics of the drop floor. In one pic, I laid a piece of plywood over the open area to get an idea how much space there would be under a raised floor. I think framing as suggested here would work, but some way would need to be worked out to hold up the raised floor in front of the wheel wells.

Is there some other way to utilize this area that's not occurring to me ... because I have a bad attitude about it? Or can I make a raised floor and just ignore what's under it -- and if so, how best to handle that frame hanging down?
CLChastain
Teardrop Builder

Re: Odd flooring question for standy

Postby KCStudly » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:55 pm

If you have it, use it; that's what I'd say.

If you need water tanks that is certainly an option, but that space could at least be used for storage, if not an actual drop floor for head room.

I like the versions where the side skirts cover the drop, regardless of what you end up using it for. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Odd flooring question for standy

Postby CLChastain » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks, KC study. Yes the drop floor was originally for headroom in the Aristocrat LoLiner, but the structure I want to build on that trailer has about 6'3" of headroom. The design I'm working on now doesn't have the skirts, so I'll ad them and see if it messes up the feng shui.... It would at least provide some long storage, which will be taken away (from beneath the front sofa/bunk) by the proposed location of the A/C there.
CLChastain
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques