Opinion please on galley drawers.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Opinion please on galley drawers.

Postby ratrod71 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:03 am

As you look at the galley photo, the upper left opening is 8 1/4" tall and I was planning on putting 2 drawers in this space. After thinkong about it, they may be too shallow. So I was thinking of putting a single deeper drawer. So please offer up some opinions on which way would be the most useful. The lower outer openings will hold single deep drawers and the upper right will hold the slide out for the stove. Thanks :thinking:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (170.63 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Alaskan Benroy build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61738
ratrod71
Teardrop Master

Re: Opinion please on galley drawers.

Postby KCStudly » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:10 am

I guess it depends on what you need to store. If it's small stuff like spices, flatware and utensils then two shallow drawers might keep things more accessible, but you will give up space for the extra box and rail.

How about a single drawer with a lift out tray? That would make organizing flat-ish stuff easier w/o having to resort to two bins... but would make accessibility slightly less convenient for the stuff on the bottom.

Maybe a single drawer with a half tray on top; that way you could slide the tray from side to side giving access to the lower part of the drawer w/o having to resort to lifting the tray out?

Just some more ideas to throw into the mix. :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:18 am

Seems pretty tiny for two drawers. A lot of the space is given up for the area between the two drawers.

I looked at my small under desk cabinet - 2 small, 1 deep drawer, about 28 inches including casters with a top and bottom panel, no other horizontal parts. The small drawers have 6" faces and about 5 inches of actual drawer that can be opened. They are small, good for small items -- pens, small cables, etc. The deep drawer is 10". Really not a lot of space in either case.

A lot depends on what you are going to put in them. Lying wine bottles in them might be great. Towels, hot pads, measuring cups, batteries, bunge cords also could be done. The classic kitchen junk drawers. Storing your dutch oven is not going to work.

A lot of the design is dependent on what you are going to do with the space. You might want to think about what is actually going in that space. Open shelves are great -- no internal restrictions. However things can move around.

Or are you looking for a design/appearance.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:19 am

KCStudly wrote:I guess it depends on what you need to store. If it's small stuff like spices, flatware and utensils then two shallow drawers might keep things more accessible, but you will give up space for the extra box and rail.

How about a single drawer with a lift out tray? That would make organizing flat-ish stuff easier w/o having to resort to two bins... but would make accessibility slightly less convenient for the stuff on the bottom.

Maybe a single drawer with a half tray on top; that way you could slide the tray from side to side giving access to the lower part of the drawer w/o having to resort to lifting the tray out?

Just some more ideas to throw into the mix. :D

X2
I was going to sugest the same thing before I saw kcs reply.
Single draw with lift out
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby backstrap bandit » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:31 am

I kinda had the same problem I wanted 2 medium size drawers well I got them and still had a tiny space so I put in a 1 inch deep drawer and glad I did I can store cutting board there I can put batteries pens small knives tarp clips all kinds of small stuff that gets lost easily there do a mock up cut out some face plates and see what u like best for looks no matter what u put u will find something to go in it
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:50 am

I like the idea of a single large drawer with a tray as well. That way you will have a section for tall stuff, and an area with smaller stuff that has a place to sit and not end up "lost" in the bottom, mixed in with the big stuff. The tray can just sit on small cleats, mounted to the inside of the drawer box itself.

Find out the largest thing which will be in the drawer & then build the tray to leave more room than the largest thing takes up in space. Lots of room & space for bigger stuff & you can just remove the tray, but there's always little stuff which needs a place to sit. My wife found some small clear plastic trays, which can sit in a drawer or go on a shelf. You can see what's in them, take them out & put them wherever there's room to use them.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ratrod71 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:39 am

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I really like the suggestion of a single drawer with a lift out tray. :thumbsup:
Alaskan Benroy build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61738
ratrod71
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques