Building a 5x9 on a 4x8 frame

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Building a 5x9 on a 4x8 frame

Postby bia.morton » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Any tips or pictures of people who built a 5x9 tear drop on a 4x8 trailer?
I have a boat trailer that has a very long tongue so was thinking about creeping ont he tongue a bit to make it more roomy. Also the 4x8 is inside wheel so was thinking of framing it to the outside of the wheels, adding some storage underneath and making the inside big enough for a queen bed since it would be for me, my husband and our lab. Haven't found many pictures or info on people doing that.
Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks
bia.morton
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Building a 5x9 on a 4x8 frame

Postby KennethW » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi I built a 5x9 foamy on a HF trailer. Even the floor is foam(2" bolted to the frame)There is wheel wells but they are at ones feet, not really a problem Here is some Pictures
gallery/album.php?album_id=3105
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bia.morton » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:26 pm

i was thinking about lifting the cabin a bit above the wheel and having storage underneath to avoid the wheels inside the cabin.

How did you extend the frame around the weels? 2x4? angle iron?
bia.morton
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rowerwet » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:01 pm

Raising the floor means you will always need a step up to the bed, look for the "crows wing" for a raised floor tear that I couldn't live with. You really want the tear bed height the same as you use at home, for ease of entry.
You could make a longer nose by making a raindrop style nose, a great plan if you will have the dog in bed with you.
You're really only overhanging the frame 6" on each side, no big deal there.
Since you're building on a boat trailer, how about a boat shaped tear? 102254102252
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby bia.morton » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:29 pm

rowerwet wrote:Raising the floor means you will always need a step up to the bed, look for the "crows wing" for a raised floor tear that I couldn't live with. You really want the tear bed height the same as you use at home, for ease of entry.
You could make a longer nose by making a raindrop style nose, a great plan if you will have the dog in bed with you.
You're really only overhanging the frame 6" on each side, no big deal there.
Since you're building on a boat trailer, how about a boat shaped tear? 102254102252

hahaha I was thinking a cabin shaped tear ;) not sure yet. still in the planning stages :)

my bed at home is like 6 inches off the floor so that measurement wouldnt work but good point about having to climb up. Ill take some measurements when I get home tonight.
bia.morton
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:37 am

Consider a bunk for the dog. Labs are a larger breed and will hog a lot of bed space. Lots of people have come up with some pretty nifty designs that include bunk space in lieu of rear cabinets (over your feet). For smaller dogs, some have even done slide outs (or a replacement pod) in one of the side doors.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques