GAS STRUTS PLEASE HELP!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

GAS STRUTS PLEASE HELP!

Postby jandbsteardrop » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:32 pm

hatch strut example.jpg
hatch strut example.jpg (39.16 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Hi,

I've been reading as much as possible about the gas struts and seems there are so many different ways to do this. My hatch is 5 feet wide, 67" from hinge to end (on the arc) and will end up being about 50-60 pounds.

I just bought 120 pound gas struts. I plan on mounting them as in these examples below as they are approximately 18" closed and 28" open...(I don't have exact length as I'm at work - but they are long).

The question is - can they be mounted like these images here and will there be any issues? For instance, when the hatch is closed, will it be pushing down (putting pressure against the hinge)?

I don't want to have to drill a ton of holes and would like to get it done right the first time. I think? that I understand where to put the brackets, I just want to know if this way of mounting them is OK. (Style 2 in below pics).

Thanks!!
Attachments
hatch struts style 2.jpg
hatch struts style 2.jpg (7.29 KiB) Viewed 333 times
jandbsteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Re: GAS STRUTS PLEASE HELP!

Postby jandbsteardrop » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:38 pm

gas struts 4.jpg
gas struts 4.jpg (48.39 KiB) Viewed 330 times
I guess so - I found this photo - this is pretty much exactly how I want to mount them...please advise, thanks to all.
jandbsteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jandbsteardrop » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:47 pm

struts 5.jpg
struts 5.jpg (163.91 KiB) Viewed 329 times
here's another example that I found. I want to do it just like this...I don't really have many options so I hope this is an OK way to do it...thanks!
jandbsteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Postby noseoil » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:31 pm

On page 5 of my build, I have an explanation of how I did mine.

Basically, you need to draw a couple of arcs on a cardboard mock-up to do a full scale drawing so you can map out the points to locate the strut attachments properly. It's really just basic stuff so take a look and see what you think. Read through it a few times, get some cardboard & make a compass out of a stick & a nail or screw. Just take your time & think through it. A full scale drawing on cardboard is really a great aid in picturing things & how they will go together.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248&start=60
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques