Door hinge question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Door hinge question

Postby Kanook » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:38 pm

I'm using aluminum piano hinge to mount my doors and need a bit of advice. I see more pictures of the hinge mounted to both the face of the wall and door. I planned on mounting mine on the wall and door edge so less hinge is seen. Is one way more advisable?
Thanks
Kanook
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Door hinge question

Postby TimC » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:52 pm

The simple answer is end grain is much weaker in terms of holding screws than edge, or face grain. If you are mounting into end grain at any point of the hinge it will likely be a weak point. If you are screwing into edge, or face grain along those walls it shouldn't make a whole lot of difference which face you mount to, especially with a piano hinge. With a piano hinge if most of the anchor points are edge grain a weak screw or two may not be a problem. With strap hinges it would be more critical due to less anchoring points. Good luck with your build!

Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby kayakdlk » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:09 pm

You mean like this

It worked fine. I use Steve Fredericks method for seals and use a router to recess the hinge in the door and body edges a little so only the hinge part is showing. The recess kept the door gap down to the minimum. I made sure my door jambs and door edges were a solid piece of wood . I think I use popular or red oak for the hinge edge. A little harder wood than pine to hold screws. Never had any issues.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kanook » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:35 pm

kayakdlk wrote:You mean like this

It worked fine. I use Steve Fredericks method for seals and use a router to recess the hinge in the door and body edges a little so only the hinge part is showing. The recess kept the door gap down to the minimum. I made sure my door jambs and door edges were a solid piece of wood . I think I use popular or red oak for the hinge edge. A little harder wood than pine to hold screws. Never had any issues.

Dan

Yes. That's the way I was hoping to mount mine. Thanks
Kanook
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:01 pm

So while we're on this topic, what's the best way to make sure that the door is aligned properly in the opening when using this hinge arrangement?

I won't be using piano hinge, but will be orienting my lift off hinges in the same fashion, inside the jamb. My thought was to shim the door in the opening and make temporary match marks on the outer face, then do a careful layout to transfer the screw locations to the jambs with a small combo square.

Is there a better way?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:53 pm

If you do as you described and make the hinge location on the jambs you can get a spring loaded hinge drill witch is invaluable for accuracy for this type of situation.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:09 pm

I know the one you mean and wish I had one of those while fitting my hatch hinge.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:26 pm

dales133 wrote:If you do as you described and make the hinge location on the jambs you can get a spring loaded hinge drill witch is invaluable for accuracy for this type of situation.

Vixbit....a worth while tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Set-of-3-Vix-Bits ... rds=vexbit
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:18 am

KCStudly wrote:So while we're on this topic, what's the best way to make sure that the door is aligned properly in the opening when using this hinge arrangement?

I won't be using piano hinge, but will be orienting my lift off hinges in the same fashion, inside the jamb. My thought was to shim the door in the opening and make temporary match marks on the outer face, then do a careful layout to transfer the screw locations to the jambs with a small combo square.

Is there a better way?

KC,

I know this is an apples to oranges comparison of what you're trying to do - my hinge leaves are exposed; your's will be inset - but I made a jig to locate the hinge holes on the jamb and door. In the picture of the jig below, you can barely make out the layout lines. I used a drill press and fence to establish parallel holes for the screws.

The jig was designed so that the I could remove the door side of the jig, register the sidewall side of the jig against the door, and then drill (using vixbit) holes for the door side of the hinge leaves. Next I attached the hinges to the door. Then I shimmed the door in place in the door opening and drilled holes for the sidewall screws and fastened the hinges.

Perhaps you could make a 90 degree jig to register against the sidewall to provide a consistent depth for the screw holes.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:36 pm

Excellent, Tom. I can work with that. Thank you!
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Nice hinge jig!
Pmullen503